Carb elbow connectors

Marden

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I have these 90 degree connectors on my carbs. The bike is an X1 1971 but the Mikunis seems to be the ones used on the X2, I compared the numbers on jets/seats etc. with the rebuild kits on Heiden tuning ( I live in Sweden so Netherlands are the closest retailer). These little guys seems impossible to get hold of though.

Does anyone know where to get them (preferably in Europe) or
are there any experience in fabricating something that works?

The small one is located under the float chamber and the big one on the inner side.
4F9E97E0-BA09-4F82-B6F3-12A2239D0F57.jpeg
C23323C4-0002-469A-AD3B-2CA40DDCD69F.jpeg
05777258-7EAD-4C2A-B310-22944FB5FA35.jpeg

hi Marden, I’m not familiar with the early carbs but TM 34 and 36 pumper carbs have similar fittings, but they aren’t plastic they’re brass, not sure if they are the same size or not but it might be worth investigating as a possible source.

Ok! Thank you, I will definitely check that out.
Brass would be so much nicer.
I measured and the small one is approximately 3.25 and the big one is about 5.5 mm ø.
So 0.13/0.22 inches?

I'm not entirely sure what they're doing but I'm guessing that the big one somehow is leveling the fuel in the carbs.
Maby I just could plug them?

The small one's; I have no idea. Vent-something?

the small ones look like they might be overflow outlets in case your needle and seat aren’t sealing, The big ones are probably to link the two carbs, I’m assuming your fuel tank only has one outlet? but I could be wrong, I was wrong once before, I can’t remember what it was about, it was too long ago.

The small one is from the overflow pipe in the float bowl. The large one is a balance tube for fuel delivery from your two petcocks. If the fuel gets low, below the "hump" in the tank, and one side runs out, the balance tube will still feed both carbs from one side (petcock) of the tank.

Not to purposely hijack this thread but I think that 5twins just said that as long as the tank is reasonably full, you could do without the balance tube. Yes, you would want to plug the port on the carburetor. Is that correct ? I think Marden's '71 has two petcocks both with a reserve so what are the chances one petcock will go dry before the other - again, questioning the need for the balance tube. I'm not advocating the removal of the balance tube, just trying to understand. Redundancy ?

Thanks @5twins, @hovel, @650Skull and @stinky78 !
Actually, I do only have one petcock so the fuel line runs by a T-splitter (I have no idea what it's proper name is).

So.. Seems I'll need the balance tube outlets?
I guess there is a a reason why the outlets are L-shaped, so that the balance tube gets U-shaped. If I cracked the plastic and just kept the brass I could just have a straight tube between the carbs instead but that's no good?..

And the overflow, just keep the brass there too and let them point downwards?

Thanks again!!

I guess there is a a reason why the outlets are L-shaped, so that the balance tube gets U-shaped. If I cracked the plastic and just kept the brass I could just have a straight tube between the carbs instead but that's no good?..
I've got several sets of XS2 carbs some have L shaped fittings others have just a nipple for straight across.

@GLJ , thats good news, solved then!! Many thanks!

@650Skull how did i miss that thread? Did search the forum, I guess the result is related to my bad spelling :geek:
Hope he ships to Europe.​

Back