Carb Identification Help

Anthony Coutlee

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am new to this forum and need a little bit of help.
I just bought a 1981 Yamaha 650 special II.

The only problem is that the carburetor is taken off of the bike and totally disassembled and missing most of the parts.

However, with the motorcycle came a second carb that is very similar but slightly different, I know nothing about this carb or what it came off of.

This second carb is mostly together it is just missing most of the bowl area pieces. I have attached a few pictures of the carb and pieces that I have.

Could you please assist me in finding the correct rebuild kit and any other pieces that I am missing? Also help in identifying the carb would be awesome!!

Thank you so much!!
--Anthony
bowl area 2.jpg
Bowl area.jpg
bowl gasket.jpg
Bowl.jpg
intake.jpg
misc pieces.jpg
output.jpg
Side 2.jpg
Side.jpg
top.jpg

That carb set may be from an XS400 or 360. You may be able to adapt it to your 650 but it would probably take a lot of work. The first thing that you would need to check is the spacing between the two carbs. I'll bet it differs from a 650 set.

www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf is our carb bible. It should help you figure out what missing and how to reassemble your carbs.
DON"T BUY carb kits. Most of the parts in kits are generic and won't work in our carbs. Read the carb guide to learn how to inspect the parts you have, replace only the parts you need to.
Float bowl gaskets are pretty tough and can be reused several times before they get too bad.
In the carb guide is a chart that lists all the brass parts for each year carb sets. They made changes every two years, some minor, other major.
The carb guide will help ID the carb set in pieces. If they have stamped steel, chrome plated top covers they are the BS34 carbs and probably the ones that go on your bike. They started using them in 80.
Leo

Last edited:
That carb set may be from an XS400 or 360. You may be able to adapt it to your 650 but it would probably take a lot of work. The first thing that you would need to check is the spacing between the two carbs. I'll bet it differs from a 650 set.

Thank you so much for the help, I have been searching around for some time now with no luck. Now that you mention it, the carbs are different distances apart. I might just have to make the actual 650 one work.

Contact gggGary. He can probably hook you up and you can trust him to sell you working carbs.

Thank you guys so much for your help!! As requested by XSLeo I have attached pictures of the other carb that I have. This is the original one off of the bike I believe. The first picture shows everything that I have with this carb. So as you can tell I am missing a few things. I have already ordered another float, and I just ordered this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161720238856?item=161720238856&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

Do you think that I am missing anything else?
You guys are awesome!
Thanks
Carb 1.jpg
Carb 2.jpg
Carb 3.jpg
Carb 4.jpg
Carb 5.jpg
Carb 6.jpg
Carb 7.jpg
Carb 8.jpg

Carb 1.jpg

Well good news, These are the correct carbs for your bike. The tin tops indicate they are BS34 carbs. The black enricher knob on the left side indicates from an 80 or 81. The plastic floats indicate from an 81. 80 had brass floats.
In your first and last pic, which are the same. You have the two float bowls on the left. One still has the float bowl gasket stuck to it.
Next to the upper float bowl is an enricher plunger. There should be two. These carbs don't use a choke. A choke cuts off the air ti enrich the cold start mixture. On these carb you actuate the enricher system, this lets extra fuel to flow to enrich the cold start function.
On pic #7 it shows a black knob on a shaft. parts on it that engage the enricher plungers. They go in the hole in the carb body just behind the attachments.
To install the plungers you need to loosen the screws in the attachment parts and move them out of the way. You can partially remove the shaft, there should be a spring and detent ball behind the shaft in each carb body. If you remove the shaft have it in a large plastic bag to catch those parts.
The parts down the center are from the top a float bowl mount screw. You need 4 for each carb, Can be found at most any good hardware store.
#2 is your float valve seat, Need two. In pic #6 they goes in the large holes just below the two post that hold the float. Screen end first.
#3 is a fuel hose clamp, Disregard for now.
#4 is the clip that holds the float valve seat in the carb body. It goes around the float valve seat in a groove, it is held in place by a small screw in the threaded hole just below and to the right. You need one for each carb. I don't see them in your pics. Should be able to find some at your hardware store.
#5 is the float valve needle It goes into the float valve with the rubber pointy end first.
#6 is a rubber plug. You need two. They seal the hole the pilot jets go into. In pic #6 there is a large hole in the center of the carb body, just below is a smaller hole, this is where the pilot jets screw in. The rubber plug go in the same holes.
I don't see pilot jets.
The large holes in the center are where the main jets go. I don't see them either.
To the right of the 5 items down the center is one float, below that is the loose float bowl gasket.
You need two float bowl pins. These go through the two posts on the top of the carb in pic #6 to hold the floats. In your pics of the first set of carbs there is a float pin next to the float. It may work with your
I might ask on here if any one has a couple you can get. You might get lucky and find a some in your box of extra parts.
On the float bowls clean them out well. The white crud is from ethanol fuel.
Mike's has jets and gaskets for these carbs. I would recommend jets r us. They sell genuine Mikuni jets at about the same price as Mike's knock offs.
In the carb guide is a chart that tells what jets came stock in these bikes. It covers all years. Your carbs came with 132.5 mains, 42.5 pilots. The mains are the large round type, the pilots are BS30/96 type jets. Keep these thing in mind when ordering new jets.
If you look at the float bowls of the other carbs, they are BS38 carbs, you can see the end of the pilot jets. If you can get them out, you might be able to use them. The earlier BS38 carbs, use the same style pilots as the later BS34's. They might be 45 size. That would be one up over stock for your carb set. This is often a good size, the BS34'a were a bit lean from the factory. EPA stuff.
When you buy jets I would recommend buying stock sizes for both mains and pilots, one up on the pilots and one and two up on mains. This gives you some tuning room.
Mikuni jets are numbered in 2.5 steps. so one up on the pilots is 45, two up is 47.2. Mains the same ay, one up is 135, two up is 137.5.
Depending on any mods you do having the extra jets saves ordering more later. Things like pod air filters or a more open exhaust you need to retune the carbs.
The carb guide covers much more on inspection, cleaning and assembly. It also has a tuning section.
Good luck with your carbs. It may be a bit of work to get them up and running but the learning experience is priceless.
Leo

Leo, I just wanted to thank you for your invaluable help!! Because of your thorough write up, I was able to go through my carb after buying a few parts and find everything that I was missing. I now have everything else that I need on the way and I should have my carb fully put back together within another week from now.
After I get it all together I will update. Thank you SO MUCH!!!

Back