Carb issues and main jet needle settings

Wes-712

XS 650 new bobber project
Reaction score
Crackling rolling off throttle or in the mid range. (short drag pipes with baffles). Going through hell sealing leaks over the last couple years, all gaskets etc. replaced and it still does it, although not as bad. So I went back to the manual on adjusting the snap ring on the main jet needles to a lower position in order to raise the needle a bit for mid range. And my needle doesn't have all of the notches.

If you look at the pic, (snap ring off) you can see one notch and a fat plastic washer as well as two smaller washers. Can I just add another washer to two to raise it up some and have the same affect? Or should I buy another needle in a different size (if they come in different sizes). I believe it says 05h14 or something like that. I can double check.

Any help appreciated. Been neglecting this bike a little, time to get it running perfect, or as close as i can with such short pipes.

IMAG2256.jpg

BS34 carbs? You didn't say ..... but they're the only stock 650 carbs with a one slot (non-adjustable) needle. Stock jetting? You didn't say ..... With changes to the exhaust and intake (pods I assume, again you didn't say .....) you must re-jet, especially with the BS34 carbs. They were borderline too lean right from the factory on a totally stock machine. Usually, you don't have to fool with the needle is you change the mains and pilots. The larger pilots bleed over into the lower midrange and make it richer. The larger mains bleed over into the upper midrange and make it richer. There, midrange "fixed".

It looks like someone may have shimmed your needle already. The parts drawing only shows one metal washer above the e-clip, only the plastic one below .....

80Slide.jpg

Looks like your needle was already shimmed higher. You can add a washer or maybe 2 but that's it. There isn't much room above the e-clip between it and the retaining plate. Shim too much and the needle binds up.

Back