Carb jet sizes

cmills83

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
My bike is running lean since the engine top end rebuild and I just wanted to see if anyone out there has a similar setup and what jets they are running?

1980 Engine/carbs, 0.25mm over pistons, Heiden Dyno Tune kit, pod filters and a 2 -> 1 delkevic exahust

Also, is there a good place online to buy an assortment of mikuni jets for the 1980+? These jets are getting a bit spendy.

Yes, I see many places over-charge for genuine Mikuni jets. Retail on the mains and pilots is only about $4 each but I see many places charging $6 or more. Luckily, they are very common jets and available from many places. The main jet style is what's called a large round main. It's Mikuni # is N100/604 .....

M98LIeO.png

The pilots are the BS30/96 type. They are similar to the VM22/210 style used in some of the earlier carbs and will interchange, but you must use the BS30/96. The carbs are designed for it. A VM22/210 will physically fit in there but it won't flow correctly.

Uoaj1xt.jpg

I buy my jets in 4 packs from the "big box" places. That's the cheapest way I've found .....

https://www.chapmoto.com/mikuni-kn100-604-large-round-main-jet-parent-342-1561

I see from the link you provided to that dyno kit that the needles are from the 7 series. That would make them quite a bit longer and leaner than the stock 5 series needles. Mikuni needle series come in 10mm length spans. A 5 series spans 50 to 60mm in length, a 6 series 60 to 70mm, etc. Being that needle adjustment slots are 1mm apart and changing just one step can make a big difference, you can just imagine what a 20mm difference in length could do. Frankly, I'm surprised that needle even works at all. But, most reports are it doesn't work, at least not very well.

Apparently that kit was designed for use with a 750 big bore kit and Heiden's own (designed by them) 2-1 exhaust. You don't have either. Also, many times jetting specs used in Europe with their fuel mixes don't work right here with our gas.

I think the first thing I'd do is ditch that needle and maybe try the stocker again, or one of the adjustable ones available that are closer in length to it.

Good info, thanks!

I thought that kit was designed for a stock engine. Part of that kit involves drilling the hole by the needle, will this have much effect if I put the stock needles back in the carbs? It took a while to find good carb diaphragms, hate to have to find another set.

Niche Cycle Supply has become my go-to source for genuine Mikuni parts. They also offer generic jets, but clearly indicate which is which. For the price difference, I won't gamble on generics. Tuning is enough of a chore without having to play the oldtime Amal guessing game: ("Is #135 main jet A flowing the same #135 main jet B? Better try #135 main jet C and see if it makes things better....") With real Mikuni jets you won't have to wonder.

Check my old posts from 2011-2012. Had a similar setup. 45 or 47.5 pilots, mains were in the 140 range, Heiden needles with their 2-1 exhaust.

Drilling the slide is supposed to improve the lift time and response, make it quicker. What needle you use shouldn't matter.

Niche Cycle sells what looks to be that same "dyno tune" kit for a better price. They state in their description that it is not genuine Mikuni so that means maybe the included 7 series needles aren't the same as 7 series genuine Mikuni needles. Measure them and see. The stock needle is about 50mm long from the clip to the tip. Like I said, I find it difficult to believe a needle 20mm longer would even work. .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XS6...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

If you're looking for some adjustable needles to play around with, this kit from Cruzinimage on eBay is about the best deal going at the moment .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/80-81-Yama...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

You get not one, but 2 different adjustable needles, along with a needle jet. The parts are all generic but the needle lengths are much closer to the original so they should at least have a chance of working. The included needles are a Y265 and a Y267. The Y267 is a very close match to the 5O2 used in the '78-'79 BS38s. The Y265 is a closer match to the original but the taper is even closer to that on the 5Z1 needle from an XS400 .....

rxWWoyS.jpg

Looking closer at the OP, I bought that kit and ran it in mine. Pilots were close. Correspondence with Heiden said the needles were designed for use with their 2-1 exhaust.

Their mains are out there. Keep going up a size at a time until it stumbles at WFO, then back down one.

Only the 5O2 from a '78-'79 set might work. It's close in length to the 50mm long BS34 stock needle. All the earlier BS38 needles are 4 series needles and too short (40 to 45mm long). They would be way too rich.

Back