1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Carb parts reassembly

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BeetsnGreens, May 24, 2019.

1. BeetsnGreens

BeetsnGreens XS650 Enthusiast

Hey XS650 crew,
    I am reassembling my carburetors and have two questions about certain parts and how they are arranged/ where they go.

These are the 78-79 BS38 carbs

1: I can't remember how the parts of this slide needle assembly goes. I already put it back together the way the picture shows:

IMG_20190524_201810.jpg

The needle has the clip, i put the spring under it, then put the washer over that and the plastic donut thing over the washer, other plastic needle thing then circlip (Picture is upside down from my description). I hope that's correct. What I am really unsure about is what side the washer goes (under or over the clip on the needle)

2: What is this? Maybe apart of the choke?

IMG_20190524_205057.jpg

3: is there a good exploded view of these carbs?

Thanks!

-Tom

PS you guys are awesome

Paul Sutton likes this.
  2. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

3. DogBunny

DogBunny Motorcychologist

Never noticed it before, but the parts drawing left the little washer out. Anyways, the little washer goes UNDER the little circlip and on top of the little spring.
    Your second pic shows part #s 53 and 54 in the diagram that gggGary posted.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    BeetsnGreens, Paul Sutton and gggGary like this.
  4. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru Top Contributor

I don't think that's right. On all the ones I've taken apart, I've found the washer under the e-clip. I'm sure many of these, probably most of them, were never apart before .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think the washer is placed below the e-clip, between it and the spring, to keep the spring from catching on the e-clip.

The assembly will work as you have it but you have altered the needle height slightly. You have, in effect, shimmed it down or leaner. The washer is about a half MM thick. Needle clip positions alter the needle height by 1mm so you have shimmed the needle 1/2 step leaner. This might effect a totally stock bike, probably not so much on a modded one with larger mains installed. The needle usually requires leaning with larger mains anyway.

BeetsnGreens, gggGary and Paul Sutton like this.
  5. DogBunny

DogBunny Motorcychologist

Oh well, I guess I had a 50/50 chance of getting that right. I agree with 5twins, and I am changing my first response accordingly...

BeetsnGreens and gggGary like this.
  6. BeetsnGreens

Thanks for the help, guys!

Yes, I noticed that, too... and that's why I'm here! :laugh2:

gggGary likes this.
  7. BeetsnGreens

@5twins I will be taking them apart again. Might as well do it right. I've got a decent pair of snap ring pliers that made the job only somewhat of a PITA

gggGary likes this.