carb slide rotating?

I wiped the bores of the carbs down when I reassembled them the other day after putting one drop of super glue on the top of the joint between the slide and diaphragm. Rode about 100 miles in the last couple of days and it looks like the slides have stayed in place.

Not sure if I got rid of the gunk or just that the glue worked. When I took the slide out previously, the tire of the diaphragm did feel noticeably loose - the slide rotated easily inside the tire, so I feel like the glue probably didn't hurt. Then again, another round of carb cleaning probably didn't either.

Called JBM on friday but only got their machine. I thought it would be best to speak with him in person so I'll try again on Tuesday after the holiday weekend. I'm curious to hear if he has any thoughts.

Spoke with the guy at JBM today. He said that he doesn't have any real experience with the motorcycle engine, he only makes the diaphragms but in his opinion, a little dab of glue wouldn't hurt anything as long as you don't get it all over stuff.

He says that he would recommend using regular super glue because the gel form has more of the MEK in it and he says it takes too long to dry and it does "something" to the rubber (not necessarily something terrible, just that you can see that the gel affects the rubber more than the regular).

He also told me that if anyone had a real problem with the diaphragm, including something going haywire during the installation process, that he will ship replacement parts no problem.

He also mentioned that some people want to use some sort of grease to get the rubber onto the slide, and he feels that if you use grease, this would definitely increase the likelihood of the slide rotating in the tire.

The formulation of rubber he uses apparently will naturally stick to the metal over time, but the slide rotation may be in part from the rubber warming up and expanding on the slide before it has a chance to really grab the slide.

That's what I got.

PS- he did also mention that it could rotate due to scratches in the bore or crud, so Blue is also right on with his suggestion to look over the bore when you are replacing the diaphragm.

Hope that this helps.

Back