1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Carbs, carbs, carbs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bstryker, May 6, 2018.

1. weekendrider

weekendrider Iron Horse cowboy

S.W. MO
  2. gggGary

gggGary Horsepower; just noise 'til the tire hooks up.

3. grizld1

grizld1 Grumpy old man

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  4. well it seems a shame to scrap a perfectly good set of carbs for the want of a bit of ingenuity and application .

if the carbs are going to be abandoned then you have nothing to lose by carefully centre drilling the mixture screw to a depth of about 3/16ths on a drill press until you can drive a thin flat blade screwdriver blade deep into the the mixture screw with a small pin hammer .The walls of the mixture screw will be so thin that now the screw should easily turn out leaving the threads intact.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
    Superjet likes this.
  5. weekendrider

weekendrider Iron Horse cowboy

S.W. MO
    If you are careful you can drill out the head with a hand drill. Or at least I was successfully removed one from the carb body I traded JaxShane.

6. Bstryker

Bstryker XS650 Enthusiast

Hey guys I finally figured out a way to get the screws out! Thanks for everyone's help.

Attached Files:

TwoManyXS1Bs and gggGary like this.
  7. 5twins

5twins XS650 Guru

Well good for you. A couple new mix screws and you'll be all set. Be aware that the remnants of the the little o-rings may still be mashed down into the bottom of the holes. Make sure you get them out before installing the new parts. The assembly sequence is spring, washer, o-ring. The washer keeps the spring from digging into the o-ring and destroying it .....

[​IMG]

If you try those 12R screws from Yamaha I linked to, please let us know if they are indeed a perfect replacement and match.

gggGary likes this.
  8. B_Crabaugh

B_Crabaugh XS650 Member

Did anyone ever find out if those 12r screws will work?