Carbs in front

JRay77

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
A crazy thought. Is it possible to turn the jugs around and have the carbs in front? I know the oil tube would have to be plugged and ran different. The cam chain adjuster looked at. Would this be at all possible?

Hi JRay,
I've seen photos of a reversed head XS650 motor right on this site so yes it's possible. (That, or it was the best photoshop fake ever.)
But why, eh? Why?
Or why stop at reversing the head? Gut the transmission, fit a variable swash plate hydraulic pump in it's place and lace two rims onto rotating case hydraulic pumps to get two wheel drive with infinitely variable gearing in forward and reverse.
Ideal for those who can't get along with shifting gears and using a clutch.
And for those who are happy with shifting and clutching but don't get along with electricity there's the XS650 Diesel conversion with acetylene lights.

i've seen a honda 4 cylinder that had this done. I seem to remember it was only good for short rides, or looking at. With the exhaust in the back it tended to run pretty hot.

Scroll down for pics and a "How to" write up..............http://www.xs650.org.au/offbeat.html
awolfskill2.jpg

Last edited:
As always, thanks guys. I'm in the middle of my first engine rebuild. Got to looking and my mind was running wild. Why not carbs in front for like a "ram air" effect?

Why not? Duh, because the exhaust side is the hot side and if the machine with its air cooled motor is to be ridden in the real world (as opposed to being shown in Fantasy Land bike shows or run for short blasts down a drag strip), the hot side needs to be in the breeze.

Hi JRay,
I've seen photos of a reversed head XS650 motor right on this site so yes it's possible. (That, or it was the best photoshop fake ever.)
But why, eh? Why?
Or why stop at reversing the head? Gut the transmission, fit a variable swash plate hydraulic pump in it's place and lace two rims onto rotating case hydraulic pumps to get two wheel drive with infinitely variable gearing in forward and reverse.
Ideal for those who can't get along with shifting gears and using a clutch.
And for those who are happy with shifting and clutching but don't get along with electricity there's the XS650 Diesel conversion with acetylene lights.
I like you. A smartass with an extensive vocabulary. Very knowledgable. Now you have me thinking, why not put an XS motor on a zero turn mower?

Why not? Duh, because the exhaust side is the hot side and if the machine with its air cooled motor is to be ridden in the real world (as opposed to being shown in Fantasy Land bike shows or run for short blasts down a drag strip), the hot side needs to be in the breeze.
For sure. I've thought that too. Then again I see a lot of straight pipes and two into one not set up right either.

was a old racing trick with triumps ,back in the early 80s came across a trumpie on the rd with reversed heads , it was his main means of transport , swore by it but reckoned it was a mongrel to tune the carbs , went on a 150 mile run with him and a couple of other bikes and it seemed to go ok but then I wasn't riding it ,has been done to a xs650 but only seen photos

Yamaha TZR250 3MA had reverse cylinders in 1989, which is no problem at all on a watercooled engine. And on a 2 stroke, the rather bulky exhausts are easier to accomodate that way. On the other hand, ensuring clean, dry air for the carbs may be tricky.

Back