Carburetor Fuel Level Sight Gauge

jetmechmarty

Project collector
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
s-l640.jpg

I want to buy four of these brass fittings that screw into the carburetor bowl. What are they called and where do I get them? My XS1100 has long term poor fuel economy. Tweaking the level accurately is all that I have left.

I got them off eBay, and I'm quite happy with them. I know you can go and make up your own for a few dollars less, but this was ready made, custom fit, etc. and they work great. I bought 2 but truth be told, I rarely use them both at once .....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carb-Float-Level-Tool-Yamaha-XS400-XS500-XS650-XS750-XS1100-XZ550-77-83/273099883552?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

You probably don't need 4, 2 would most likely do the trick. Just don't move the bike between checking each carb. And try to get it parked as level as you can before checking any of them. I use a torpedo level across the front motor mount on the 650. I have some metal wedges I can jam under one leg of the centerstand to level the bike up.

[QUOTE="5twins, post: 622082, member: 156”]You probably don't need 4, 2 would most likely do the trick. Just don't move the bike between checking each carb. And try to get it parked as level as you can before checking any of them. I use a torpedo level across the front motor mount on the 650. I have some metal wedges I can jam under one leg of the centerstand to level the bike up.[/QUOTE]

I went through an ‘81 for a friend of mine. I set the levels with the bike on the stand running. Those nipples on the bowls are helpful. I want to reset mine the same way.

Yeah the metric zerk drill out the ball works, but it's a bit tough to get them to seal, good news is they can be had for pennies at any auto store.

Back