Carburetor Rebuilding - Oldskoolcarbs

i can also replace the fuel tee with a brass tee that has orings for an additional $25.. i can also replace diaphragms with JBM diaphragms at cost for diaphragm and add $25 dollars for labor.. so for $335 you can have new diaphragms and the fuel tee replacement for the bs34 model

Attachments

• SANY2083.jpg
    SANY2083.jpg
    548.2 KB · Views: 383
  • SANY2079.jpg
    SANY2079.jpg
    654.7 KB · Views: 384
  • SANY2081.jpg
    SANY2081.jpg
    657.8 KB · Views: 389
  • SANY2082.jpg
    SANY2082.jpg
    894.6 KB · Views: 360
Here's a question OldSkool:
I've got an '81 Special with a set of 34 mm carbs with the fuel union tee as shown above, but I am putting an XS750 fuel tank on the cafe bike and it has two petcocks like you'd find on say a '76 XS650 Standard.

Can you convert a single inlet carb set with a tee to have two separate fuel inlets?

Pete - how high is the tunnel on that XS750 tank? It seems to me if the fuel somewhat freely flows from one side to another like on the 650, you are making more work for yourself by adding a petcock. May as well make a blockoff plate from an old petcock and just run a one-line system. Am I under-thinking thins?

Not sure Pete - I have the tank and it is cleaned out but I haven't yet begun to look at it. I suspect that the tunnel is pretty high - and that is why they had two petcocks on it in the first place.

The Carb picture above Rick did for my recent build. Fantastic work and they look beautiful. Testing functionality will be a few more months out but I'm confident based on his recommendations and communication throughout the rebuild. Thanks again Rick!

Shoot him a PM for what you'd like done queenslegs. Rick's really good at getting back to you. Standard rebuild price of $185 but I had a buncha extra work done like new JBM diaphragms, t replacement, paint removed from bowl/polished and re-jetted etc. The shipping back to Canada also pushes the price up heh

Canada shipping is about $50 each way.. pm me for more details..... about the tank question you could tee both petcock lines together to make one line for your carbs

Not sure Pete - I have the tank and it is cleaned out but I haven't yet begun to look at it. I suspect that the tunnel is pretty high - and that is why they had two petcocks on it in the first place.
I just T'd the two petcocks on mine together and then dropped straight into the carb T. Had to block up the rear of the tank a bit so the lateral lines cleared the top of the carbs.

No need for two petcocks on the 750 tank
A. it's huge
B the super secret final reserve is to tip the bike so the gas flows over to the side with the petcock.
then decide whether to ride ahead or back to the nearest gas...... Did that successfully one night on the 305 scrambler about 45 years ago, eked out 5 more to gas. to this day I'm notorious for running a tank "too far". Had to push an XS up the driveway last summer, (I was that close). Two years ago I coasted a K1200LT down off the freeway and to a gas station a 1/4 mile from the exit. :rolleyes:.

Hmmmmm.....sounds like a dodgey strategy to me. About 35 years ago I pushed a Suzuki GS850G about 3 miles to a gas station and vowed NEVER A-FRICKIN'GAIN will I go more than 10 miles on reserve.

....that is until last summer when I was coming back from my first significant ride on Lucille and I explored the upper edges of her speed envelope....as well as her range on reserve. I was delighted to have the opportunity to spend 30 minutes under an overpass in the rain while a daughter brought the lawnmower gas can out to me.

Anyhow - tee'ing the two petcocks together and then dropping down to the carb tee sounds like the plan.

Last edited:
Pete, you might want to find out how much effective fuel capacity you'd lose by running a single petcock. It's simple: level the bike, open one petcock and let it drain the tank. Then open the other side, drain the remaining fuel into an empty container, and measure. On an XS650D Standard tank, only around 3 oz. of fuel remains.

Back