1. The site was moved to a new faster server this morning (9/18/18). Report any problems.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

carburettors from the grave...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kopcicle, Apr 20, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Wingedwheel

Wingedwheel Get a bigger hammer

Yep, when I pulled them off I thought the throttle cable was froze up. Turns out it was the slides...

2. Stubby

Stubby XS650 Member

Great information. Kopcicle, carburetors were once my enemy, now they are one of my escapes from this crazy world that no longer makes sense. I have found that the best tools to use while working on carburetors are patience and a strong determination to NOT fail. A "parts replacer" will tell you it couldn't be fixed, a mechanic will tell you it was a challenge.

lakeview, JimD54, grizld1 and 2 others like this.
  3. grizld1

grizld1 Grumpy old man

I hear that, Stubby; these machines require the skills of a mechanic, "motorsports technicians" get lost in them.

gggGary, Stubby, robinc and 1 other person like this.
  4. gggGary

gggGary Feed me, feed me NOW!

This set is twice as much fun, 2005 YZF600R only 11,000 miles but sitting for years, the gas cap drain got plugged, water got in the fuel system.

20180920_151649.jpg 20180920_151851.jpg

grizld1, robinc and JimD54 like this.
  5. Hi, I guess you are talking about removing mixing screws and problems associated with that procedure. I have 1982 xs650 heritage so I will probaby have to this as well. Can this be done without taking carburettors out??
    Leo

6. Also what are those hollow posts on both sides of carburettors just over float bowls? Are there screws in there?
    Leo

7. kopcicle

kopcicle antidisestablishmentarian

I'm thinking you have quite a bit of reading to do . Yes , the idle mixture screws are in those vertical round casting / casings on the engine side of the carbs. I have removed the mixture screws while the carbs are still on the bike but for very specific reasons. Removing the carbs is a 15 minute deal with the bike on a lift, sufficient tools, pliable boots and manifolds and correct practice. I can't imagine carb service while still on the bike. (that's just me) .
    What the novice doesn't appreciate when they plunge head long into these carbs is that an idle mixture problem can be float height, needle valve and seat leakage, crud in the carb body, crud in the idle jet and finally an issue with the idle adjustment screw.

Any and all issues with these bikes are a system problem. Any issue can bring the whole to a stop. I start with a valve adjust, followed by a static timing of the ignition (to be followed by a dynamic adjustment of timing and dwell later) before even attempting carb adjustment and synchronization.

The original post was written over ten years ago and posted here near five years ago and I still answer. I'm really not that hard to find. If you really don't get it PM and I'll walk you through it .

grizld1, gggGary and robinc like this.
  8. Boy...you really confuse me. There are mixing screws and now other screws on side of carbs just over floats? The other ones are in front of carbs over butterfly valves?
    I have been told that I may have a diaphragm crack. Do you think this could be the case?
    Leo

9. 20181006_185049.jpg Here is picture on side of mikuni bs34 carburetor showing tube just over float bowl. Is there something inside there?

10. gggGary

no When this carb body is used on the RH side or a 4 cylinder engine that tube carries fuel to the next carb.

JimD54 likes this.
  11. JimD54

JimD54 Screws fall out. It's an imperfect world.

The vertical tube.... your mix screws are in the vertical tube.

20181006_185049.jpg

12. gggGary

piling on?
    hscarbs.JPG

grizld1 and JimD54 like this.
  13. Ok. Thanks , that horizontal tube has nothing. What about this nipple tube beside intake on both sides. One has a 4 in long rubber tube attached to it sealed off with a screw in it and the other on the other side is rubber capped off with tube clamp.
    Do you know what they are for?
    Leo

JimD54 likes this.
  14. gggGary

Vacuum ports, one or both operate vacuum petcocks depending on year, model, country. They also are the place to hook up your manometer (or vacuum gauges) when you synch the carbs.
    :unsure: :confused: o_O

JimD54 likes this.
  15. I think your talking about the carb boot vacuum tubes.......These are usually connected to the petcocks on 78-83 tanks because the petcocks are vacuum operated........If the Petcocks have been changed to manual ones then those tubes will be blocked off..........If the petcocks haven't been changed then blocking off those tubes will make the bike near impossible to start or ride

gggGary likes this.
  16. Ok. These are closed off so i should be ok. They should not be loose and open. If they are somewhat open what happens with bike performance.off.
    Thanks
    Leo

17. Tell me more about peacocks. Where and what purpose they serve?
    Thanks. Sorry for dumb questions
    Leo

18. gggGary

leodr you ARE trying my patience.....
    Is this a customer service employment test?
    [​IMG]

19. JimD54

JimD54 Screws fall out. It's an imperfect world.

Now you're just struttin' your colors... :laughing:

robinc and gggGary like this.