Cast wheel replacement for spoked drum brake rear whee

Jbinnington

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi again folks, sunny Vancouver Island cafe racer man checking in.

Is there a cast rear wheel with a drum brake I can use on my 77 roadster (standard)?

I would prefer a 18 inch but would use a 16 inch if I have to... I have today swapped the front wheel from spoked to cast because the spokes were creaking! I had a cast wheel for free and once the discs were swapped over and new bearings installed it was simply a matter of taking the tyre off and refitting it.

I now have a cast wheel on the front and a spoked one on the rear. The spokes on the rear wheel are in a better condition as they get a regular soaking in chain oil but it would be nice at some time to have a cast wheel for the rear as well.

What might fit!

Binny

The did make cast wheels on some later specials with drum brake, but I'm thinking they are kinda rare.

81 Special was the only XS650 with a drum mag in the US, it was 16".

There are some XS400 18" rear mags but they are disk and may fit on a smaller axle. Uses a 4 bolt sprocket mount also.

FWIW,
the 1980 Canadian XS650 was the only one with a 16" cast disk rear. 1981 to end of production Canadian XS650s all had 16" cast drum rears.

Yet seem oddly hard to find at salvage places. ...always find the damn disc rears...

Hi CDNTX650,
if you need a wheel and the disk brake type is all you can find, they will swap onto a drum rear bike.
The only hard part is creating a mounting for the master cylinder.

Hi Binny
I'm new to this forum and i run a 76 (c) Standard. although it was'nt built by myself it has the wheels from an XV 1000. the one with the curved Mag spokes. the back wheel looks like a tight fit and i have no idea what it takes to make it fit, but its in and been running like that for 10 yrs. Now i know u all want a photo but i,m a bit of a technology Dinasaur but i shall try and post soon. The big advantage of this set up is of course the cush drive in the hub. maybe Xj 550/650/750 (Seca) wheels would fit they look almost the same.

Fred, I was not aware that all late Canadian models had drum mags. That solves my question of why my '84 has that set up. I thought a p.o. had gotten creative.

The '81 I bought as a runner has the multiple spoked wheels front and back, I am not sure if that was standard.
The complete '84 has drum mag rear. I am out of town and cannot be more specific.

Hi Binney and all
I could of had a bit of brain fade yesterday. (they say it's the memory that goes first) Most of the xj series are of course shaft drive so lets stick to the XV 1000 or it may be XV920 in your market. I took a quick look at the set up yesterday after work the center boss for the sprocket measures 90mm and has a 6 bolt pattern but looks as if the xs chain adjusters were used. i'm only throwing it out there as a possible alternative as you would need the front wheel as well to make them match. My appolagies if i partialy steered you in the wrong direction. Best possible Regards Jonesey

Back