CB project

I know the automatics may not enjoy the same collectible status that the standards have, but as a motorcycle , I remember them being well received by the press when they came out, they functioned flawlessly and were a marvel of engineering, if somewhat complex. Honda has always been a leader in automatic transmissions, a tradition they still carry on. I think unique machinery like yours has value that is worth preserving and you have been doing a nice job on a bike that there isn’t exactly a whole lot of parts support for.

I know the automatics may not enjoy the same collectible status that the standards have
Yeah, it ain't always about performance or collectability. Sometimes it's not easily explained... sometimes a machine will have an appeal to you that others don't see. My 80 Special is neither a hotrod or especially collectable, and when I went to look at her she was butt ugly... an easy one to pass on... but she spoke to me in some way. Maybe ya have to be a bike whisperer to understand. ;)

Just saw your photo and it is looking very smart! I remember reading about it in a book in the 70s. I like the automatic novelty/uniqueness and you will end up with a fabulous bike to talk about at bike gatherings.

Keep at it!

Guys, thanks for all the support and interest in my project. I have learned a lot about restoring a machine that has somewhat limited parts availability and tech support. I have met some really unique and knowledgeable Honda guys around the Detroit area during this project and the great thing across the board is that everyone, no matter what ride they prefer has some fascinating and interesting stories, great experiences and are always willing to help.
Last night I passed on a great deal on a barn find CB750 that I could have used the exhaust from but He wanted to sell the whole bike. I really don’t need another bike in the garage right now so I gave the guy a friends # who will probably snatch it up. OK, back to the bike......
BTW, I still love my XS and would do another in a heartbeat. Just sayin.....

BTW, I still love my XS and would do another in a heartbeat. Just sayin.....

Hmm...
100_0376.JPG ;);)

Beags64 I would but again the timing thing. One I have to finish the Honda and two I’m headed out of town in three weeks for work and probably won’t be back until riding season is in full swing. Where are you located?

If you are interested in it not a big deal for it to sit here a little longer. I can just as easy move another project (NO shortage of those) to the front of the line.

Beags we may talk when I return.
As for now two new walls I ran into. As with most old Japanese bikes the exhaust system was totally rusted out. I picked up two, a 4-1B362EAD1-7D13-41CF-8817-4FD8E3D08EF6.jpeg E39577D4-5496-4412-ADFB-EB46474B9875.jpeg and nice chrome 4-2 without realizing the mounts changed for 77-78. They went to a slightly larger pipe with a stud mounted flange. The pic shows the difference in the mounts.D6D1679B-4C5C-4CC1-84A0-68BEDFAC7B0A.jpeg
The earlier had a flange that mounted to the head at the exhaust ports with the clamp holding the pipes. 6DEEF67C-A013-4554-AB18-32D53BAAE539.jpeg I looked at retrofitting the earlier pipes but there must be a difference in the frame styles so the pipes configuration won’t work. I also found a nice Kerker 4-1 for a 77-78 model but when I tried to mount it there was also problems.8212BAC3-C42E-4F66-A575-4950B5956104.jpeg
When I tried to bolt it up I realized that this engine went to a wet sump to supply the trans and torque converter and eliminated the oil tank. This also involved a deeper oil pan which would not allow the header to pass under the engine. I have one more source to check but this is a difficult exhaust to track down.

Yep I tried to make some spacers but the difference in the front wishbone wouldn’t let them lay in correctly. Also the mufflers bolt to the front peg studs which would interfere with the neutral lever on the kickstand.

Yah! I actually made some progress today! After swinging by Beags house to look at my next project,(thanks Tim)
I made some copper shims for the 4-2 because after I cleaned it up to sell it I noticed the pipes were actually numbered with really small numbers from an engraving pen. My dumb$#%^ had them mixed up and that's why they wouldn't work.pipes1.JPG I tried unsuccessfully with different thicknesses but couldn't quite find the right combination.pipes3.JPG I was racking my brain trying to figure it out when I noticed something. The older pipes were just a fuzz smaller and I had to grind a bit of the inner flange off to get them to fit and that got me thinking.pipes2.JPG The stock pipes must have had a flange that the retainers pushed against to hold them on and the spacers had the same thing, all I had to do was keep the pipes on them and it hit me what I could do. I ground and cleaned the spacers to get them readypipes5.JPG and fit them into the pipespipes6.JPG then I broke out the welder and tacked them to the pipes creating a retaining flange.pipes4.JPG you can see it worked! one more thing off the list.pipes7.JPG pipes8.JPG pipes9.JPG Just two major things left. Spark and seat!

Attachments

• pipes4.JPG
    pipes4.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 95
Back