CB project

I knew you would figure out the right combo. Gotta love it when a plan comes together.

I’m headed out of town next week for a couple months and it’s too bad when you’re this close. Hopefully my train of thought stays on the tracks till I get back. B20A7BFC-892E-493C-B1CA-2524C1DAFA93.jpeg349BFC0D-0C5B-4C98-9508-A76BAE1B2C56.jpegCA3ED622-E32D-4918-95AE-B6136AF458A2.jpeg4E16E28A-581B-4438-AFD3-EE420C6007F6.jpeg I still have the seat pan issue to deal with but it’s not as bad as I originally thought. Shouldn’t be too hard to do a little repair. At least I know what needs to be doneC6BB2B63-9786-4A99-B41C-0BCB2CF4F4B0.jpegE3067407-E573-4E04-AFD3-2E0CD6E73724.jpeg3EED4439-E211-4D5D-B968-916F292D3824.jpegI have a different seat from a K but of course the pan, mount, and lock are totally different. At least I have a profile to work with.E5521DC3-4D83-4C6A-8C4E-DF6854002E1C.jpeg

Hey guys, after 4 months in Alabama I'm back and ready to get back into it where I left off. The problem I left off with was no spark from the coils. OK I'm no dummy but something doesn't seem to be working out right for me. I tested the primary side with my multi-meter and got a reading of 4.5 ohms both coils. Checked the secondary side and got nothing on both coils. That led me to believe I had bad coils since I should be getting about 14K on the secondary side. I ordered a set of replacements from CycleX and when I unboxed them I checked them and got exactly the same readings. being I was leaving just a few days later that's where things were left. My question is did I get two defective coils from the supplier? I doubt I can send them back given the time elapsed and usual policies of no return on electrical parts which is not my concern. What I do want to resolve is what the exact problem is before I just throw more money at it without really pin-pointing the problem. I'm close, really close to finishing this and just need some second opinions.

I am not sure how those coils are wired internally. I am guessing each coil feeds two spark plugs. If you get no resistance reading from spark plug cap to the other cap they try measuring from one cap to the metal core on the coil i.e. the laminated metal with the mounting bolt holes. If nothing then I suggest unscrewing the plug caps so you can measure directly from the wire: sometimes you can get poor results trying to get a reading through the caps, especially resistor caps.

Maybe drop in a picture of the coils.

Did change scales when trying to read secondary side ? Should be no connection between Primary and Secondary sides on a dual outlet secondary.

Paul,
I took the caps off however I did not measure from the internal lamination's. I'll give that a try. Here's a pic of the old coils.coils1.JPG Azman, I changed the scales to read the higher resistance which I believe should be in the 16k range. I set my meter at 20K and 200K just in case. If there is no connection between the P and S on a dual outlet coil how do I test them and if it proves not to be the coils what should I look at next?

Jim, I thought that's how you did the Primary and from either lead to the plug wire for the secondary. Unless I've got this all wrong? I've tested coils before and never had doubts but for some reason this time I seem to be either making this way to hard or I bought two bad coils from the supplier.

This is from a Yamaha book, but it applies to any dual output coil. Notice that, unlike a single output, the two circuits aren't connected at a ground point. Only way to check the secondary is through the ht leads.
EDIT: By HT... I mean high tension.... the spark plug wires, just so we're on the same page.

Untitled.png

Thanks Jim, A quick trip to the garage and BINGO coils are good. Now I need to move past that and try to figure out why they are not getting a spark. Any suggestions on where to look next?

OK, the kill switch WAS on so I'm not gonna find that bus however a few checks showed I am getting voltage to the coils. I suppose I will do the next obvious thing and replace the points and condensers. Being lazy I left the original set in the bike thinking by using magic it would fire right up. I guess I need a new wand. A tune up kit with points and condensers is $18 so I may as well do something I should have in the first place.

Bingo guys! Replaced the points and condensers and the spark plug wires threw a beautiful blue spark! I put the caps on, sprayed a little fuel into the carbs and she fired right up. Lesson learned, (for a minute) stop being a dumbass and trying to take a shortcut around an obvious part that although they looked good had probably been in the bike since new. Next up is cleaning out the tank, making sure the petcock is clean, new fuel lines and repairing the seat pan and recovering the seat. Getting really close........

Bingo guys! Replaced the points and condensers and the spark plug wires threw a beautiful blue spark! I put the caps on, sprayed a little fuel into the carbs and she fired right up. Lesson learned, (for a minute) stop being a dumbass and trying to take a shortcut around an obvious part that although they looked good had probably been in the bike since new. Next up is cleaning out the tank, making sure the petcock is clean, new fuel lines and repairing the seat pan and recovering the seat. Getting really close........
550x0-Emoticon-blog-img.jpg

Ok, new buzzkill. The tank was remarkably clean so I put a small amount of gas in it, set it on the bike and drive up to the local Jap supplier for some fuel line so I could fire this thing up and do some adjustments. When I returned I smelled gas in the garage and lo and behold there was a small puddle next to the bike. Seems the tank is leaking along the bottom seam on the left side. Not sure if that’s worth trying to fix where it’s located.put a couple feelers out to see what I can come up with.i
D0BF604F-1F43-496B-83E4-6B13ED599D45.jpeg
ll.

Back