cb450 rear wheel?

Bigfeet

to many projects
Reaction score
I want to change my 16" rear wheel to an 18" and I have a couple CB450 wheels. Has anyone tried this before? Did a search and came up with nothing.

disc or drum brake? mag wheel or spokes? at the minimum axle sizes and spacers will be different, probably can be done with a fair amount of pure aggravation :banghead: if disc it will need to be relocated/lined up, all it takes is time and money

Be easier to get an 18 inch XS650 wheel. Bolts right in. That is if they both have the same brakes.
In my Honda twins repair manual all the CB450 wheels are drum brakes, the spokes, the mags and the Comstar wheels.
Leo

That is the thread that got me started thinking about it. Both bikes have 20mm axles, drum brakes and the swing arm width is within 1/2" of each other. I may have to try a dry run to see what happens. You never know until you try.

I swapped a cb750 wheel in my bike and it was TONS of work... The hardest parts was aligning the chain, but the 750 is a pretty wide engine. The point is due lots of research befor diving in..
Quick pic of my problem
b66807ea.png

I've got a 16" CB450 wheel assembly (aftermarket rim, I'm sure) I've been thinking about running on an XS build. I'll be following along to see how it goes.

That is the thread that got me started thinking about it. Both bikes have 20mm axles, drum brakes and the swing arm width is within 1/2" of each other. I may have to try a dry run to see what happens. You never know until you try.

Then it appears to be just a matter of larger or smaller spacers.

Had a thought (yes it hurt) on my way to the hardware store. Why not measure the wheel CL to Sproket CL. They seem to be within 1/4" of each other with the XS wheel being wider........interesting.

Little update.
DSCN0218.jpg

DSCN0217.jpg

So far it looks promising but it's not a done deal yet. The rim slipped right on and appears to line up pretty well but more head scratching and figuring is needed. Anyone trying this remember it is off a Honda twin not a 4cyl. I have it on good athority that would be allot of work.

Back