Wanted - CDI UNIT TID12-03, 5V4-10 1982

gman13579

XS650 Member
Reaction score
My 1982 heritage special uses the CDI TID12-03 and it's almost impossible to find. Does anyone have one they'd be willing to sell me or know where to repair one?

There are several threads scattered among the forums regarding repairs. There are usually three things that go wrong:
  • A resistor may burn out - easy to repair if you know its value.
  • The diodes fail - easily replaced
  • The transistor fails: It is a Darlington NPN transistor and a more recent study indicates the best replacement to use is the ST901T. This is available on Ebay and is used widely in small Transistor Controlled Ignition systems (TCI - not to be confused with CDI which is capacitor discharge ignition).
If you are into electronics then test and repair the system yourself, but not everyone is up for that.

I would like to add to your question a little if you do not mind. If the TCI unit fails and you are unable to make a repair what are the replacement options? Are there drop-in replacement units available? I am thinking solely about replacement with modern electronic advance ignition systems, not a return to a points based system.

Thank you for any views.

Any XS650 TCI 81 to 84 will work in your bike the 81 six wire do not have the sidestand interlock but are plug and play with a just a bit of trimming on the connector skirt.

Yup littlebill31 had one for sale in classies a few days ago, tested and working!
I have done this myself, both ways; early TCI on a late chassis and late TCI in an early chassis.

Back