cdn needle 5ix11..genuine mikuni.

One of the most painful places to get stuff from ever...but in last resort...i might have to.

The ones from xsdirect i got arent even marked with a mikuni number, its some random chinese stock number, google doesnt even bring it up. They do match the description in length and clip positions however,. I do have one of xsjohns needles to compare too, looks like a 5ix11....but...

I don't think you'll have much luck finding any of the original needles or needle jets used in any of the 650 CV carbs. I've never seen them listed at any of the Mikuni parts places. I think they were made special for the CV carbs of the era and most likely just supplied to the manufacturers.

The Canadian needles are a bit of a mystery. I've never seen a real Canadian carb spec listing showing the jetting and settings for the supposedly Canadian spec BS34s. The MikesXS mention and selling of so-called "Canadian" needles and needle jets is the only reference to these parts I've ever run across.

There must be some Canadian members here with real Canadian BS34 equipped models that could shed some light on this subject. It would be great to discover and verify just exactly what the specs were on a set of Canadian BS34s. Things like main, pilot, and needle jet numbers, and needle clip setting, air jet size too.

When XSjohn was developing his needles i bought a set of Mikes Canadian needles 51X11 and needle-jets 336-YO for my BS34's. All i knew was what i had been reading from 650Rider days and assumed our BS34's were the same as the States..................Wrong................When i took my BS34's apart i found the needle jets were the same as Mikes Canadian with 4 and 5 hole 336-YO. and the needles are genuine Mikuni stamped 51X11. They have the adjustable height as well.

I guess the hardest thing is determining if the other jets have ever been changed. I know a set of BS34's i am running have a 30 Main and they have the, (so called), Canadian Needles and Needle jets in them.

XSJohn sent a set of his needles to a club member here, (for trial purposes) and he found they didn't do anything for our carbs, and that would be why

These were not just for the Canadian market, i would hazard a guess they were for the countries that didn't have the environmental restrictions like the States had.

Will post some pics tomorrow

Last edited:
Wish i had a chance to work on a stock 80+ . Have to ask my salvage guy whom i bought two engines from. He gave me 38, but they are so awful i just threw them in my parts bin.

5twins I think you are correct about the OEM CV parts.
They were supplied to Mikuni only. I've looked also and any reference to them
(like the KZ forums) always goes back to Mikes supplying them.
JetsRUs doesn't list them or at least I couldn't find them.
The European and Canadian Yamaha sites just go back to 1988.
CMSL only lists their own part number and the fact the are not available.
And the two service manual pages they show are both page 2.
If someone had a service manual for Canada or Europe the first data page should have the info?

Back