Center stand fitment

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I want to install a center stand on my ‘76. Are there fitment issues with the Commando pipes I have on there now? Thx

There should be no fitment issues other than the tang hitting against the muffler when the stand is up. Original mufflers had a tab with a rubber bumper in it to stop that. The simple solution is to put a short length of heater hose on the tang to pad it against the muffler. Being that far back, the muffler doesn't get hot enough to melt it .....

QOF59xn.jpg

JWV1MX3.jpg

Something I will mention though is that the tangs on these stands have the nasty habit of eventually breaking off so it's a good idea to brace them, as shown in the 1st pic above.

2V1zBtd.jpg

Yamaha apparently was aware of the problem because they added a brace to the tang on the last couple model years. So, if you're shopping for a stand, that's another option - get one of the later factory braced ones .....

RD5urGJ.jpg

However, that large factory brace may require you to get a bit more creative with the heater hose "pad", notching it out so it slips on far enough .....

FmVQOtN.jpg

CPPB0FH.jpg

Thx for all the great info. In the picture you posted with the stand up, with the pipes shown, the pipes are upswept where mine are more ‘parallel” to the ground. Do you think I’ll still be ok? 0C48E2C5-06CC-4C00-8AEA-8A5BDF5127E5.jpeg

Bosco,
You have such a great looking bike, I was searching your earlier posts to try and see if you ever posted photos of it and I couldn’t find any good ones. I would love to see some good clear shots of your bike with some detail photos, I would also like to hear more about your bike, some of the custom work that’s been done, what’s the back ground?
Your bike has some nice mods done to it. Show it off buddy! :smoke:
33241128-63AF-45A5-B516-53FA1F89B36A.jpeg

Thx - can’t take the credit for the build though. Bought it this way and can post pics soon. Only owned it for several months, bought it from a good friend of mine. The po deserves the credit for the majority of the work done to the bike. It was a complete frame up restoration, including an engine rebuild with every bearing, gasket and seal replaced. I’m just working through ironing out some wrinkles in the way that it runs. Where should I post the pics?

I think you'll be fine even though your mufflers don't sweep up as much. My buddy has the Commandos on his '80 Special and they don't sweep up much, and the Norton Peashooters on my '83 also don't, and there's no issues with the centerstands on either bike.

Bosco,
You have such a great looking bike, I was searching your earlier posts to try and see if you ever posted photos of it and I couldn’t find any good ones. I would love to see some good clear shots of your bike with some detail photos, I would also like to hear more about your bike, some of the custom work that’s been done, what’s the back ground?
Your bike has some nice mods done to it. Show it off buddy! :smoke:
View attachment 172210
Ohhhh... A RD400 'Datona Special' paint job... :thumbsup:

Back