Center Stands (are they interchangeable ) ?

I don't regret for a minute buying that $70 used stick welder from a guy at work 20 some years ago. It has saved me literally 100s, maybe even a few thousand dollars over the years.

Hi 5twins,
me neither (180 Amp Lincoln marked down to $135 at Canadian Tire 35 years ago) and it's built me 2 trailers, 4 sidecar attachment systems and Lord knows what else. All projects that I would never have even attempted without it.
But what's that got to do with someone choosing to buy expensive stand pivots that he knows will work rather than attempting to tap holes in a centrestand that he fears may get fubarred?

One needs to build up a spot of weld on the leg to pivot tube joint thick enough so the grease fitting doesn't stick through. Then, the stand leg needs a brace welded on. I thought you meant a welder when you said $100 worth of "extras" were needed. Surely a 6mm tap doesn't cost $100 in Canada, does it??? However, if someone is so inept and skill-less that they can't drill and tap a hole, maybe it's time to hang up the helmet and buy a bus pass?

One needs to build up a spot of weld on the leg to pivot tube joint thick enough so the grease fitting doesn't stick through. Then, the stand leg needs a brace welded on. I thought you meant a welder when you said $100 worth of "extras" were needed. Surely a 6mm tap doesn't cost $100 in Canada, does it??? However, if someone is so inept and skill-less that they can't drill and tap a hole, maybe it's time to hang up the helmet and buy a bus pass?

Hi 5twins,
not by itself, no.
But assuming you are starting with nothing, you'll need a tap & die set, a pack of various diameter drill bits, something to turn the drill with, a hammer and a centrepunch and all that'll cost you $100+, even at Canadian Tire. Plus you gotta know a "Bro with welder"
Nor can I agree that riding skills always equate with mechanical skills. "Phil" was the best rider I ever knew but any time he brought his bike into the club workshop to do anything to it we'd learned to say "No Phil, let it live" take his wrenches away and do the job for him.

....indeed Fred - just as some of the best pilots have no real understanding of how an airplane flies.

One of the best riders I know couldn't hammer a nail straight.

Pete, I always find its easier when you start with the nail straight. ba dum dum

Hi queenslegs,
it's easier still if you use an air-nailer.
But you'll also need an at least 10cfm compressor to drive a framing nailer and (in North America at least) that'll need a 220V power outlet in your garage.
Any excuse at all will serve to buy more stuff rather than pay a carpenter to drive the nail for you, eh?

Back