Chain Adjuster Set for a 72

AndrewKWright

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

Just purchased a 1972 XS650 and pretty new to this all, so hopefully not asking too dumb of a question.
While trying to adjust my chain tension this morning I discovered that my right hand side chain adjuster is stripped. Not the bolt, but the actual adjuster.
Now looking on Mikessx/xs650direct I notice the only chain adjuster set they sell is for 74 to 84, and I really can't seem to find any online for a 72.

So my question is, can I use this one Mikessx is selling or am I screwed?

Picture below of my adjuster.

ChainAdjuster.jpg

Thank you.

Hi Andrew and welcome,
the photo seems to show some kinda hardtail so the adjuster may not be the original and it surely looks the same as the adjusters from later bikes. Except for the orphan adjuster screw.
Dunno if the adjuster from MikesXS will fit or not but you can salvage the one you have by re-working the stripped thread with a Helicoil or a Timesert or by simply brazing a nut on the end.

- - - the 70-73 axle adjusters are different, narrower to fit the thinner swingarm axle plate. - - -

Hi 2many,
thanks, I did not know that.
Andrew,
first, measure the thickness of the endplates on your bike.
The post '73 endplates are 15mm (just shy of 5/8") thick.
The later adjusters can be installed on thinner endplates by padding the gap with Ø20mm plain washers or a true bodger would just squeeze them shut on installation.
Most of this list's cheapskates would attempt to salvage what they had rather than pay MikesXS shipping charge or spend a fortune on buying used parts on e-bay.

Hi guys.

Thanks so much for the replies. I really appreciate it.

Thanks TwoMany...and thank you for finding those on Ebay, unfortunately they don't ship to Canada.

Yes Fredintoon, it is a hardtail, but from what I understand the previous builder just used the original frame and hardtailed it so I'm sure it's still the 72 end. But I will go measure it and find out.
Brazing a nut on the end might be the solution. Didn't think of that!

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the advice.

Back