Chain links

plane_ben

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Anybody have an idea how many chain links it takes for a 6" stretch hard tail with 17/34 sprockets. I need to buy my chain soon and there is usually a 20 dollar difference in chain lengths of 130 to 150 links. Any first hand knowledge is appreciated.

Possible solution;
take old chain and install on front sprocket and back to rear as close as possible, count missing links(teeth on sprocket where chain should be) and add to the number on your old chain.
should be close enough to make a decision.

but do go long if you're unsure.

harder to add than it is to shorten :laugh:

a 530 chain is 5/8 of an inch per link, or .625 inches per link. Your sprocket size is nominal, so no extra length needed to wrap. If your stretch is definitive at 6 inches from the countershaft to the axle line then the 130 should get you there, as that's 26 more links than the standard chain, 13 for each side of the run. That's 8 inches per side of extra chain, so you will be chunking a few. BTW, when buying chain for your hard tail, make sure to get 2 or 3 extra master links. You may find you need to drop a link or two after the chain stretches, and you don't want to be looking around for a compatible link for days.

Last edited:
Yea. I thought about that, but the only chain I have laying around is a 520. To narrow to fit my sprocket.

All that is a mute point though. I just had a moment of clarity.:doh: I have my other xs sitting right next to my current build and it has a 3" stretch hardtail. Just count the links, measure how many links is 6" (3" for top and bottom of chain for the added stretch on the new bike) and add to total links.:laugh:

Just went out and counted. My current chain is 112 links. There are 5 1/2 links to 3", so add 12 links and that gives me 124 links. I'll get a 130 link chain. Should be good to go.:thumbsup:

Also, thanks for the suggestion guys. It got me thinking instead of guessing.:)

Back