chain question

wacko

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello,

I plan on ordering a propper chain but am wondering if I can run one from the local auto supply? It is listed as a #50 single stand roller chain, solid rollers, 5/8 pitch? It is only $29.00. This would be temporary just to get the bike on the road. Will it ruin my sprokets? Any opinions welcomed.

That sounds like low speed industrial chain did that ONCE about 40 years ago It was a fast lesson. it stretched immediately. about $50 or 60 will get you a good chain so why pay for crap?

It is more of a time issue. Locally they want around $240.00 so I will be ordering one and it will be about a week.

Alright, that's kind of what I figured. Patience patience ...save myself the $29.
Thanks for the quick responses

Yep, I bought one of those cheap industrial chains once. The mag wheel it wrapped around and ruined cost me a lot more than a good quality chain.

240 for a chain? what kind of ass rape shop is selling a 530 chain for $240?!?!?!man get a quality one on ebay for around 50 bucks. as for the #50 chain, low speed industrial chain does not belong on motorcycles

Here wacko, I'll make you feel like you are getting a good deal. Give me your chain specs and I'll buy one then sell it to you for $200. :laugh:

I get two years out of those $29 chains.
They are the same style chains Ive been using for over 40 years, so Im used to the maintenance needed.

IMG_0417.JPG

cheap chain + cb750 = sad

well i just put a new chain and sprockets on my bike the other day. when i took the old chain off it was ok but i wanted all new and i noticed that it was Reynolds 50 chain. i sell that all the time in the Ag world. it is very good chain, not sure how long it would last on the bike tho...

I buy a new chain every two years whether it needs it or not. Pay about $60. That's $30 a year for peace of mind.

A simple heavy duty motorcycle chain is what you want for economy. These are reliable and will last a long time if you hit the chain with lube every 100 miles or more often. I like PJ-1 Black or Blue lable. I have Black now. This lube comes out as a thin watery foamy spray and soaks into the chain. In 30 minutes to overnight the lube thickens into a sticky tenacious grease that won't fly off the chain.

This is the easy quick way to lube a chain. Before putting your bike away, pull the back wheel in the air with the center stand. Spin the back wheel by hand. I idle the engine slow and put it into gear with my hand for a few seconds but don't do this if you're an idiot. Use the little tube to spray along the sprocket side by the chain while the wheel spins. Centrifugal force will fling the lube onto the edge of the roller where it will migrate inside and thicken.

Tom Graham

OR buy an oring chain, skip the oily greasy mess all over your ass end, and endless cleanups and adjustments and wax it every few months. Replace it before you will the bike to your kid. If you don't actually ride the damn thing much like me it's no big deal.

Back