1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Chain tensioner

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kelso, Jan 21, 2012.

1. kelso

kelso XS650 Addict

I would like to fab a chain tensioner that is spring loaded, similar to the monstarcraftsman version and I am wondering if anyone knows where to look for the sprocket and spring. I work in a steel mill and I can have pretty much anything machined as far as brackets are concerned. I can get things slotted, drilled whatever but I am not sure where a guy would look for the other stuff. Any ideas?

I like the idea of something with a spring that keeps tension when going between gears.

I have seen the thread with the skateboard wheel. It is killer but not really the look I am going for.

2. ramairgtz

ramairgtz XS650 Addict

3. missile150

missile150 XS650 Addict

Here is the tensioner that I built. I bought the spring from Grainger. Just look up torsion spring. It was about $7, but I can not remember which way it was wound. You have to look at the pictures. But it is the way to go.

[​IMG]

4. dwyatt

dwyatt XS650 Addict

I bought one off eBay from an old dirt bike. Welded on a mount tab and bolted that sucker right on. Less than $15 total.

5. drake900

drake900 XS650 Addict

Missile150: Where did you find the sprocket? I cant find one anywhere!

6. kelso

kelso XS650 Addict

+1 on the sprocket

7. missile150

missile150 XS650 Addict

I bought it at a local bearing shop called BRC Bearing. It was about $25 and the bearing was $8. I had to put it on my mini lathe to make the center hole large enough for the bearing. The bearing has an I.D. of 1/2" and an O.D. of 1&1 /8". It is a 13 tooth sprocket for a 530 chain, but they had to cross reference the sprocket to the 530 since their books showed another way. I have about $35 in it, but of course the hardware is just for a rough fit. I have some other pictures I could share if you like. I could get the grainger part number tomorrow as well.

Posted via Mobile

8. kelso

kelso XS650 Addict

Ya more pics'd be great

9. kelso

kelso XS650 Addict

This is just what I an looking to do but I don't have a lathe. Not sure how I would get that done. I can't believe that there is not somewhere to buy the sprocket with the bearing already in it.

10. XSLeo

XSLeo XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Try your local farm supply. Farm machinery has idler sprockets all over them.
    Leo

11. ippytattoo

ippytattoo Just another grumpy old hack.

Mcmaster Carr has item# 6663K44

Which is 15 tooth .640 bore with ball bearing for $25.76

12. drake900

drake900 XS650 Addict

whats the OD of the sprocket?

13. kelso

kelso XS650 Addict

Great idea

14. kelso

kelso XS650 Addict

Being a newbie this may be a dumb question but, how do you know that the teeth are the right size for the chain.

15. ippytattoo

ippytattoo Just another grumpy old hack.

That item is for a ansi 50 weight chain which is the same as 530 chain 5/8th pitch (length between teeth) and 3/8 width. If you are running 520 chain it will be to big (too wide). 530 chain designates pitch/width/0 so 5/8x3/8 same as ansi 50 weight.

16. missile150

missile150 XS650 Addict

I am glad that you guys found something out there. I just got this stuff locally and had some time to work on it and play with my tools. But it would have been easier if I found something already out there. But this worked for me and came out pretty good. The sprocket size you guys posted is great info to match the chain. I hope whatever you use works for you, and my pictures help. Good luck!

17. kelso

kelso XS650 Addict

I will make sure to check back with this thread when it comes time to order my chain, thanks for the great info.

Travis, is this a candidate for the tech section?

18. Sure, with the next update. :)

19. kelso

kelso XS650 Addict