Kelso: What is the outer diameter of the sprocket you used? I found one here, but its 3.6" dia which I thought was huge...

Kelso: What is the outer diameter of the sprocket you used? I found one here, but its 3.6" dia which I thought was huge...

I haven't made it that far yet. I hope to get one built soon. I need to have the parts cut on the plasma cutter at work and source the torsion spring too. The ones I have seen online are all around 3" which I think is way too big too.

It'd be nice to get one the size that missile150 used without having to modify the center on a lathe but I haven't seen one yet

Idler sprockets for #50 chain, that's the same size as 530 chain, are availible from the tractor supply nearest you. They sprockets down to as small as 13 teth. They have many different hubs, some to hard mount to a shaft, some with sealed bearings.
Check them out.
Leo

It'd be nice to get one the size that missile150 used without having to modify the center on a lathe but I haven't seen one yet

I wish I had asked this before I built, but it worked for me. The I.D. Of the bearing is 1/2" so maybe you can find a 13tooth idler with that measurement. I think mcMaster Carr had one now that I have looked, but can't be sure. The tractor idea isn't a bad idea either.

I haven't made it that far yet. I hope to get one built soon. I need to have the parts cut on the plasma cutter at work and source the torsion spring too. The ones I have seen online are all around 3" which I think is way too big too.

Good luck with it, hope it goes well.

Look at granger. I think I bought something like this, but can not be sure. I think it had a 1 inch I.D. And is wound clockwise (I think.)

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Torsion-Spring-3HPK5?Pid=search

That's what I did. I just used a small butane torch to heat the metal so it would not snap. Then cut them to length. Worked great.

One of my favorite stores is this one. I have bought lots of things from them and never been disappointed. Dirt cheap prices but watch the shipping. They have idler 50 series sprockets (which need to be machined down a bit / thinned) for less than $10. Shipping is over 10 (for me in SC) but I have never had a problem finding other things to order, bringing the average shipping cost down...

https://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?catname=powerTrans&keyword=PHID

Last edited:
Back