Chain

- if you cant find an endless chain the right length get a long length of chain and join it, better not to use a clip, use a rivet joining link...the chain will need to be at least 8 inches longer

If it's exactly 4 inches, a 120 link should work with stock gearing. I bought a 130 link chain just to be safe, but found out the 120 would have worked. I think a stock chain is around 104.

What tensile strength should the chain be? I've seen them form 6600 lbs, to 11000 lbs. I'm not worried about brand, but I didn't even think about strength. And I suppose o-ring type is better.

Last edited:
I don't know how much it matters on a bike pumping out like 50 some horsepower. Just get a middle of road chain and you should be fine. You have to remember that when some of those sites say a chain is rated for 600cc or something, they could be talking about a 120hp R6, so I don't know much those ratings matter on an older bike. O-ring is better and will last longer unless you're a freak about cleaning your non o-ring chain..

I know nothing at all about hardtails, or extended tails (was going to call it a swing arm :doh: )

I would think you'd want a top quality chain with all the extra whipping around it's going to do, especially if your not using some kind of tensioner!
There is a tensioner on 650choppers that looks pretty well made if your interested!

It shouldn't do too much more whipping around since it's hardtailed and you can run the chain a little tighter than you could if you had a swingarm since your axle is fixed in relation to the front sprocket.

Back