Changed governor - failing

marrow

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello
I have the following problem: I had to change the governor. The old one broke due to a not 100% tight screw, so it came off, spinned and collided with the little pin. So I installed another governor (used). Then it was impossible to adjust the ignition, the test lamp always came on before the F on the disc. So I filed a bit on the disc, then it worked. So the ignition time is fine, also the gap of the contact breakers. The position of the bar, the governor etc: everything checked and right position. Also the weights and the springs are ok. I start the motor, it starts, but not as easy as before. Before it came immediately, also cold. Now once running, it runs smoothly, like normal. I rev up (bike still standing), everything is normal. But when I drive, immediately after 10, 20 m there is the first failure, very brief, then it goes on, every 10, 20 m again failing, as if turning off and on the off-switch. After 200 m driving, the spark plugs are black. But Reving while standing still, the plugs aren´t black. Before changing the governor, everything war normal, ignition, carburetors etc. I really don´t understand why it is running normally while standing, but when driving (with the same rpm), it´s failing.
Thank you for help and greetings from Italy
Peter

Back