Changing a valve stem on the bike

pamcopete

Ride.Enjoy.Life is Simple
Reaction score
It was a nice day for riding today, so I got up and decided to ride my Honda CB750C. When I checked the rear tubeless tire pressure I had to bend the valve stem a little bit and then I heard the dreaded "psssssst". The valve stem was leaking. :doh: A very common occurrence. I would normally take the wheel down to my local motorcycle shop to have that fixed, but this is Sunday and they are not open. They are also closed tomorrow, Monday. :banghead:

Now, I have three other bikes I could ride today, but noooo...it has to be the CB750C. :D Because that's what I want to do, so I went to the local auto supply store and bought a couple of replacement rubber valve stems. I only needed one, but you cannot buy one of anything these days, you know how it is, and I had a plan to replace the valve stem on the bike.

Using two large "C" clamps I clamped them on the tire on either side of the valve stem location near the rim. I then applied pressure with the clamps until the sidewalls were touching on the inside to reveal the valve stem. I cut off the offending valve stem and installed the new one with the help of a little soapy water.

The valve stems cost about $2.50 for two so I saved a little money as well. I think that I will carry the extra one as a spare and if necessary I can always just buy a couple of "C" clamps at a hardware store if I'm on the road. :thumbsup:

Good field fix there, Pete.

Friend of mine had leaky valve stems on his old Ford dually. Tire shop installed new stems, still leaked. Found the stem holes in his wheels were an unusual size. So, they installed all-steel threaded stems that used sealing washers, and the leaking stopped...

Back