Changing drain plug washers with out draining oil. Possible!?!?

Terrible1

Fresh Meat
Reaction score
Well I'm trying to clean up some small oil leaks and I'm wondering if its possible to swap the Drain plug crush washers with out draining the oil?! I know the clutch cover gasket can be changed with out draining it by tipping the bike on its side but I've got a feeling this is a no go on the Drain plug washers.

I'm sure I'll just drain the oil into a clean pan and reuse it as some will suggest I'm just kind of wondering.

FYI I would take the tank off before hand to ensure no gas spills occur. Thanks in advance. :bike:

Hi Terrible,
going through all that hassle to save the cost of 2 quarts of oil?
With all due respect I have to say thanks for setting me straight; until I read your post I thought that I was a cheap bastard.
Seriously though, if you laid the bike right over on it's side I suppose the oil would stay inside while you pulled the drain plugs.

Well I'm trying to clean up some small oil leaks and I'm wondering if its possible to swap the Drain plug crush washers with out draining the oil?! I know the clutch cover gasket can be changed with out draining it by tipping the bike on its side but I've got a feeling this is a no go on the Drain plug washers.

I'm sure I'll just drain the oil into a clean pan and reuse it as some will suggest I'm just kind of wondering.

FYI I would take the tank off before hand to ensure no gas spills occur. Thanks in advance. :bike:

You just answered your own question.......................drain into a clean pan and reuse; very simple, no fuss no mess.

OK, done deal. I convinced myself to do it the right way earlier today I just was wondering if its possible.

This should rage for a bit, I also am one cheap SOB but a clean pan? I change a lot of oil with my "gary's beat to death motorcycle rescue" business but in 40 years of wrenching and maybe "just a few" oh shit I forgot....overhauls, I don't recall that I have ever "reused" engine oil, no matter how recently It had been installed. Some crap always gets in the pan, from the plug, moving it around under the bike, whatever. Like fred says you're risking some chunk of sharp dirt taking out a bearing. Remember; our XS do not have an oil filter, just screens, thin protection from what could be an expensive bit of dirt.
How about lean it over replace plug gaskets add what oil you lost? but the mess seems like a poor trade off for a $5 quart of oil. This would be about like reusing a condom. :yikes: Son it just ain't worth the risk.

Just how many miles are on this sacred batch of oil you're trying to save? If more than a few hundred, it just isn't worth it.

Take the oil cap off and have a helper hold the hose of a small shop vac on the opening while you swap out the plug and washer. I use this trick on cars when a customer has a leaking drain plug gasket.

Hi Gumby and welcome,
most newbies ask for advice while you offer a solution!
But most car drains are mebbe 12mm or so, do you think it'd still work on an XS650's 22mm drain plugs?

Back