Changing headlight problems ?

XS650D

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I have a 77 D (standard). Im not the original owner but the bike is mostly stock except the headlight which is an aftermarket unit that fit poorly. I finally found a complete stock unit from an 650 special. Went to install
and it but dosent fit. To wide for the ears that are on the bike.Im pretty sure the ears are stock but not sure.
Did the headlight change in dimensions from the standard to the special. Tying to decide if I need to find set of ears from a special or pick up units from a standard.I would prefer another headlight as im really not
into pulling the forks apart to replace the ears.Looks like a big job! Can anyone advise if the headlights from the special were actually bigger in diameter. Looks like the special units were all chrome and the older standard models were painted tank and fender color. Thx for any direction on this

The 77 Standard headlight bucket is the same in all dimensions as the Special bucket. I've swapped three standards to the chrome bucket.
If your ears are bent, it appears that the headlight bucket is too wide. You'll need to determine if your ears are too bent.
77 Standard ears are much more difficult to find than Special ears. The two are at different heights so with the 77 Standard gauges, you are pretty stuck with the Standard ears..

Thx Guys, ok so headlights are same in dimensions. The ears or brackets on bike have a very slight bend, almost strait.
There not aftermarket but may be off another bike possibly. I will send a pic, having problems getting my computer to link
with my phone camera.

I've been swapping the bucket out on my '77 for an xj model, fun stuff.
Like stated, the standard buckets are painted, Specials are chromed but dimensionally they're both the same.
I've a set of Special ears knocking around and when putting them up against the Standard ears yes, they're different - but the mounting of the bucket is at the same plane regardless of the ears or gauges for that matter.

The Special ears are highly susceptible to bending if the bike is knocked about, seen it a few times and have had to rebend them. Not so much with the Standard ears.

If I had to choose between the two sets I'd go with the Standards.

After looking at pics off all the years of xs650 brackets, it appears there from a 75 model year.Thre almost strait and
the welds were the ears attach to the tube are hidden to give a smooth look .Actually looks better but regardless the headlight
needs to be approx 1/2 inch smaller in Diameter to fit these brackets.
I could probably force the headlight to fit possibly. Make a tapered shim

Last edited:
do You have 77 gauges? If so, look for the 77,78,79 Standard bucket ears like this 78E
20210419_182116.jpg

:cool:

Thx for Pic Machine.Yes thats what I need.(I have 77 gages) The 75 units or brackets I apparently have look very similar but the bracket sits more out front
of the tube leaving not enough room it seems for the light. It look like u have a large rubber bushing between the light and bracket.
I definitely dont have room for that.

Last edited:
It's fussy work but with various hardwood drifts and small hammers the ears can be reworked so the bucket fits properly.
Also look carefully at the two half dollar size pockets in the bucket where it mounts, they should have a flat face but it's often been caved in by a tip over nailing a turn signal. all thread, nuts and washers can get them back in fighting shape.
Some info
https://www.xs650.com/threads/bent-ear-headlight-bucket-meatball-mechanic-fix.42119/#post-421201
More
https://www.xs650.com/threads/headlight-bucket-fork-tube-variations.50915/

Great info Gary! Everything appears to look flat and true on headlight and Brackets. But the brackets may have been reworked
by previous owner to adapt to the small aftermarket headlight. I thought this was going to be an easy swap LOL!
May try and slightly bend the ears a lil but im afraid I could destroy them in the process. Going to have another closer look tomorrow.

Back