Changing Intake ports to a D shape for better flow.

Jack, if you think it is strict in Germany, don't look into Swiss regulations.....
I enjoy the European culture but what I dislike are the strict noise ordinances, a little loudness comes with the territory of free flowing mufflers
Myself I couldn't afford living over there paying out for all those noise citations :lmao:

The head is finally done except for some final touch ups in the floor corners. Fingers are extremely sore from hand sanding the floors but I have the week end for recovery. Will bake the head one more time this week end to acclimate the epoxy to the aluminum floor and stud anchors.

D port head done.jpg

Last edited:
Super impressive workmanship Jack!

I have thoroughly enjoyed watching this thread progress and I can’t wait to get started on my head! (I’m dropping it off for vapour blasting in a week or so)
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it this project,it was a learning experience for myself also with the anchoring studs,etc. I doubt many will venture outside the box restructuring the XS ports to this extreme.

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it this project,it was a learning experience for myself also with the anchoring studs,etc. I doubt many will venture outside the box restructuring the XS ports to this extreme.

Have you not used the anchoring studs may times before Jack?

I’m intending in following in your footsteps as best I can, prepare for the pestering!

Not on the experimental head. Did a lot of researching on Speed Talk.com where all the professional engine builders and head porters hang out like Darwin Morgan,etc, they all mentioned using a anchoring system with aluminum plus I talked to the guy who's going to flow the head and he suggested the same method,so it's all good. I'll be here when you get ready.

Not on the experimental head. Did a lot of researching on Speed Talk.com where all the professional engine builders and head porters hang out like Darwin Morgan,etc, they all mentioned using a anchoring system with aluminum plus I talked to the guy who's going to flow the head and he suggested the same method,so it's all good. I'll be here when you get ready.

I’m so appreciative of you being prepared to pass on the knowledge you’ve gained!

Hey Jack, you're gonna drive your own the head to the flow bench? Is Dalles far away? You still doing some fine tuning there? I owe you big big time!

Hey Jack, you're gonna drive your own the head to the flow bench? Is Dalles far away? You still doing some fine tuning there? I owe you big big time!
Yes,it's about a 3 1/2 hour drive and the guy flowing it I lost contact with him for several years cuz he moved,etc and he contacted me a bout two years ago
All my heads were flowed on his flow bench and knowing what to expect for #s I want to continue using his bench. Yes we'll be tuning intakes ports and the exhaust the best we can. The intake ports including the floor are within a few thousandths with each other ,the exhaust one port was off some due to casting, so we'll see how they flow but I'm not worried about that when take into consideration how deficient the casting is from the factory. Had a problem with brazing one of the manifolds clamping it down and caused a indentation on the backside of the mounting flange,it's small and will fill it in with JB,then smooth it out, probably not necessary but I don't want to take a risk. Got a call while typing this, flow testing is on for this coming Tuesday,keep the fingers crossed:)

The new shipping box is 14x14x14 heavy duty. The inner insulation foam is in two sections,just pull on the red wire and the first section will slip out,
the bottom section will be glued in place. The top cap will also have a red wire attached,just pull up. Will be shipping the head through the company
my son works for,will email details when shipped.
d port box 1.jpg dport box 2.jpg

Well looks like it'll take over 4 hours to get to Dallas,I'll most likely catch a motel coming back if it's to late in the evening, gonna be a busy day for sure.
I have a gut feeling these ports are gonna rock beyond expectations,how do you post a video?

Oh my, Jack you are the man! You do not need to cut any more gaskets. I also want to have something to do:rolleyes: I am extremely excited!
I honestly wasn't aware of all the effort. I'll give you an extra for that;)
You'll have plenty to do re-jetting the carbs. Of all the heads I've done,this one has me excited the most. Will try recording the flow testing.

Back