1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Changing Intake ports to a D shape for better flow.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jack, Sep 13, 2019.

1. spungle

spungle XS650 Enthusiast

Did you mean my photo or that from your post? My photos are not with correct gaps. I take it only for demonstration...

Jim likes this.
  2. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

The problem I see sprungle is that it's an unknown variable. The gasket might or might not squish enough to side load the bearings. You're in uncharted territory. It might be OK, but might isn't really good enough when the consequences could be drastically shortened bearing life if the bearings are side loaded.
    At least that's the way I see it.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  3. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

No, just the idea of a gap there is unsettling to me.

gggGary likes this.
  4. spungle

spungle XS650 Enthusiast

Hm, how I said, I'm not an expert in any means:whistle: Do need this bearings side load or did it damage it? I see your point of tighten as much so the gasket areas squeeze the gasket real hard:heart: This shiti bearing/gasket area thing on this head drives me crazyo_O

Signal and Jim like this.
  5. Jim

I have an idea for a "relatively" easy fix that will guarantee no side loading. You said there's a .03mm gap at each housing. Just remove .03mm from the inner flange on each housing. That would guarantee that with a gasket, there would be no side loading. Got access to a lathe or mill?

Signal and spungle like this.
  6. Jim

I doubt you caused any damage to the bearings unless you ran it that way.

spungle likes this.
  7. spungle

spungle XS650 Enthusiast

That's sounds like to easy. Is there a reason it's not a common mod? Many driver have leaks on points /advance... The how to's of bearing / camshaft assembly remind me sometimes of brutal dental operations, only to be sure it seals right. If the mill do the trick it would be very pleasend...

Signal and Jim like this.
  8. Jim

Milling the flanges will fix the worry about side loading, but it won't address the chronic problem of leaking at the seals these engines have. All that's going to do is pull the housings in where they should be in the first place.
    I've noticed that the engine I built last year has taken to weeping at those seals... my SG. I have an idea for a permanent fix for that. If it works, I'll put a thread up detailing it. Here's a hint... :rolleyes: ;)

24x40x7mm seals.jpg

Mailman, beano, spungle and 2 others like this.
  9. spungle

spungle XS650 Enthusiast

1mm smaller id. Shrink fit, all thumbs crossed it work:thumbsup:

Mailman and Jim like this.
  10. Jack

Jack XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

Glad the head arrived undamaged. Should be a strong runner once the jetting bugs get worked out.

11. spungle

spungle XS650 Enthusiast

Hey How, Happy Easter:bike:

Jack's head is running:eek:
    And it sounds strong!
    First kicks without ignation on, last kick on - and it idles nice. Tomorrow I will check if gaskets are tight...

I'm happy so far...

Can you see the videos?

12. spungle

spungle XS650 Enthusiast

Did the video links work for you?

Jim, Mailman, gggGary and 1 other person like this.
  13. gggGary

gggGary I'm listening, change my mind XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Yup coming through loud and clear!

Jim likes this.
  14. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

That bike sounds wonderful! :thumbsup:

Jim likes this.
  15. Tiesco

Tiesco XS650 Addict

That thing sounds awesome! What kinda mufflers are those?

Jim likes this.
  16. Jim

Vroooom.... Vrooommm.. :D

spungle likes this.
  17. Jack

Dang Chris, you didn't waste any time did you:bike:. Just give that head a few cold and hot cycles to acclimate the epoxy to the aluminum.
    Engine combination sounds real good, smooth and throaty, hopefully the jetting will be close enough allowing you to break the engine in.
    Again Thanks for allowing me to port you a one off experimental head. Happy riding my friend and be safe out there.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  18. spungle

spungle XS650 Enthusiast

Mailman and Jim like this.
  19. Tiesco

Tiesco XS650 Addict

Jim likes this.
  20. Jack

That's a wise upgrade. Just a tip for ya, with your long motor combination you're gonna need bigger and longer air filters for increased air volume
    because when you combine the pull of the long rods on the ports at mid stroke, BDC and D port flow capacity, there might be an issue starving the engine of air in the upper RPMs and we both know the temptations will be hard to resist with that engine package:rolleyes: Long rod 533 motors pull much harder up top, so be prepared for huge head rush:thumbsup:

spungle, Mailman and Jim like this.