changing oil filters?

smiles79

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I need to change my oil for the first time and I have a couple questions. How often do I change the filters? I was looking on mikesxs for them (I understand there are two) but I couldn't decide for sure which ones I need, can someone give me some part numbers? Also, where are they located?

Thanks so much.

replace only if torn. one is on right side under circular cover held by two screws. other is bottom of egine under rectangular cover with six screws and it has a big screw which is oil drain plug

The filters are designed to be washed and reused. The filter in the side cover seldom gets damaged. So it should last forever.
The sump filter does get torn. A lot of us think this comes from reving the engine to high while the oil is cool. If yours is torn it is easy to fix. A bit of searching will find threads on it. Might even find it in the XS650 TECH section.
Leo

So I need to change my oil for the first time and I have a couple questions. How often do I change the filters? I was looking on mikesxs for them (I understand there are two) but I couldn't decide for sure which ones I need, can someone give me some part numbers? Also, where are they located?
Thanks so much.

Hi smiles,
like the dreamer sez, there's two of them but "filters" is too strong a word for them.
"Strainer" would be more appropriate for a pair of wire mesh screens.
Just wash them with solvent and put them back.
If the base screen has torn mesh there's a fix for that or alternatively MikesXS sells one that's more resistant to failure.
MikesXS also sells a fancy finned thing that replaces the side screen cover plate and has a real filter out of a Honda in it.
That, you gotta change; but think of the bling value.
BTW, there are TWO magnetic drain plugs, pull them both or half the oil stays in the engine. And they can be a bitch to undo.
The drain plug copper sealing washers CAN be annealed and re-used but new ones (MikesXS again) are available.

Back