Charging dianostics

CBJamie

BIKE ADDICT
Reaction score
Ok so i dove into my 81 special charging issue. Followed gggGarys tech thread, It's putting out 12.4v at idle but will not increase with rpm's. Did the slap test seemed very weak, grounded the green wire still no increase in volts. Checked the brushes inner brush was fine outer was short I replaced it with one from an old stator i have Brown wire volts is 10.6 battery is at 11.8 key on bike not running, red wire is 11.5v. I'm getting 10.6AC at white wires. slipper rings are ohm out at .003 .004. Also should i have continuity from the + brush to any ground point on the bike. I could not locate the yellow safety relay wire. stator ohms out 3.8. not sure where to go from here.

After some more research here I concluded my rotor was bad, so having a spare on hand i changed it out. I saw 13.5 volts at startup then 11.8 and wouldn't climb:wtf:shut it down and found the charging fuse was blown:umm: don't know if I have a short or the 34 year old fuse just couldn't handle it, not having a spare fuse I will have to wait to get couple new ones. Stay tuned.

The wife and I took a 50 mile ride on the xs Saturday. All went well handled our weight quite well and the wife was very pleased with the comfort and smoothness of the xs. She has given me her blessings to keep it as our 2 up ride for this year:thumbsup:

Back