Charging gremlins doing overtime

jurgenkoppen

Backwoodsfreak
Reaction score
So my 79 650 which ran great for years since I installed the solid state regulator and the Pamco ignition and coils is now giving me charging mysteries.

Going with your most excellent testing procedure, I determined that my rotor had packed it in, I did not get my 5 ohms nor did it slap the case. So I had another rotor at hand, a rebuilt unit from a rebuilt-guy I vaguely remember under the handle Tim and a memory of him not communicating, which I had purchase a few years back. Stuck it in, and yay, it worked .....albeit only for about 3 miles. Then it charged intermittently, on for a few miles, then off again, according to my red charge indicator light. So I had to go back at it again, checking all connections, since it appeared to be a loose connector judging from the intermittent-ness. However, no luck there, all connections were OK. So I did the ohm test and :wtf:, the "new" rotor shows no connectivity at all. So, did I just received a test in patience, or am I somehow inadvertently frying my rotor(s)??? I had a 10 amp fuse between my GM regulator and the brush, instead of a 7.5 amp, and at one point it blew. Anybody out there to enlighten me. I seems to be a bit dense right now...:shrug:

Oh your rebuilt rotor showing no continuity, one of the wires may have come unhooked from the slip rings. Might be worth a look.
they can be resoldered if it came loose.
GM regulator, can't say I know anything about that swap.
How long are the brushes? They do wear.
Leo

Yes, it went from 5 ohms to infinite resistance in 3 admittedly bouncy dirt road miles flat. Leo, I am not sure I understand the unhooked wire on slip ring. Do you mean the winding wires on the router itself?
The brushes are still about 3/4 " long. I will go and have another look at the rotor construction, but it all seemed solid under the epoxy goop it comes in. At any rate, I just took this dismal occasion to purchase the permanent magnet conversion kit. Seems that is the way to go, because I want something dependable. Getting stranded because of 35 year old parts breaking down is getting old fast...

OK, so no loose wires on the rotor, it just died for reasons unknown. So I decided to go for the $300 final fix, the permanent magnet system. I just installed it, and it charges great. However, the freaky yellow wire which was somehow involved with the previous alternator and powers the red warning light, has lost its input...So the red warning light stays on. Any clue anyone how to wire it in to keep its function as a muliple purpose warning light? Or shall I just cut the red light cable...?

OK, I found the answer here on the forum in previous discussions. The yellow wire, powering the safety relay, needed to be connected to one of the three AC wires coming from the alternator going to the regulator.That fixed this loose end, and the red warning light now is off, once the engine started. Thanks for checkin' in.

Back