Charging issue

FrilandXS

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an XS650 with pamco and E-advancer also the GPZ500 carbs running great, I ungrounded the brushes to install a reg-rec (7 wires) from a XJ650 the issue is that at idle and low RMP the voltage from the reg isn't stable it jumps sometimes to 16 -17 volts for a short period of time and in mid to high rpm it stays stable around 13.5 volts

So what can cause this and since I'm asking questions what is the highest voltage the pamco would endure before it fries? :)

I think the newest Pamco's have an over voltage protection circuit that is rated for 30 volts.
The XJ reg/rec should work fine. It uses about the same alternator as the XS650, just no brushes. It may have a weak ground. The black wire coming out of the reg/rec is ground. Be sure it has a good ground. If you mounted it on the battery box and hooked the ground to the box, then you don't have a ground, the battery box is rubber mounted. Also check the connections on the brown wire on the reg/rec. It uses this wire to read the battery voltage. If the connection is poor it won't get a very stable voltage reading.
While your checking check all the wire connections.
If your wiring all checks out your XJ reg/rec might not be ok.
Leo

I don't like to admin it but when I trying another reg which was defect I went to 20 something volt before I notice it to shut off the bike :yikes: so thanks voltage protector for that, I have V.3.0 or so it says on the E-advancer

All ways test your voltage before you run the pamco on it, kids. :thumbsup:

I don't like to admin it but when I trying another reg which was defect I went to 20 something volt before I notice it to shut off the bike :yikes: so thanks voltage protector for that, I have V.3.0 or so it says on the E-advancer

All ways test your voltage before you run the pamco on it, kids. :thumbsup:

Well, it's not just the PAMCO. You could burn out the headlight or other lights as well with a high voltage. If you have a solid state voltage regulator, that too can be damaged. Did you check out what XSLeo said about the ungrounded battery box?

I'd rather burn bulbs than pamcos :laugh:

I'll check the ground as soon as possible forgot to mention my brushes on the rotor are new maybe they need some wear to make a proper contact on the rotor :shrug:

I'd rather burn bulbs than pamcos :laugh:

I'll check the ground as soon as possible forgot to mention my brushes on the rotor are new maybe they need some wear to make a proper contact on the rotor :shrug:

Well, you wouldn't have a high voltage if the brushes were not making good contact. Do you have a friend who may be more familiar with the charging system?

Back