Charging problems.

Reaction score
Hey everybody. So I have been having problems trying to figure out why by bike isn't charging. I made this video ( see link below.) so that I wouldn't have to try and explain everything. Any questions just ask. It's not the best video but it helps explains what's going on. Just copy and paste the link below into your web browser. Thanks!!

Also as a side question the rectifier in the picture is a solid state regulator right??

Attachments

• 2015-05-20 19.54.35.jpg
    2015-05-20 19.54.35.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 198
Have you tried checking voltage at 2-3k RPM? If not, hook everything up, and give that a whirl to see if the voltage changes. Checked your brushes etc?

I'm challenged when it comes to electrical issues, as evidenced by some of my posts omn the topic, but you may want to start with the Charging system guide in the tech section of the site (under electrical). Lots of good info tests.

Yes, that's a combo reg/rec, and yes it's solid state. I seldom do videos. Dial up internet.
You don't mention the year and model of your bike but with the combo reg/rec I assume your bike is an 80 up.
If you look in the XS650 TECH section you will find a charging system guide. Follow the steps to troubleshoot your system. It maybe just the brushes or it maybe more. Won't know till you do the testing.
Leo

awesome thanks. Good to know that I have narrowed it down at least. Yes it's and 80. my new regulator rectifier will be here this next week, and from there I guess ill know if its wiring or not. Thanks, Ill keep you guys posted.

Looks like only 4 wires on the alternator connector.
Um yeah blurry video is not much help a few claer shots of rotor/ stator various connections would be more helpful. "Rewired" do you have ground wires from the engine to the battery? do you have 12 volts at the brushes? Yes do the tests from the charging guide what do you get? Stop randomly buying pars!

You started by throwing money at the problem without first testing the system? Good for you. If you get lucky that just might work. I've never been that luck.
It could be just dirty wiring connections, a free fix. But before you did any ntesting you spent $100.
If it was a blown fuse less than a buck. Brushes around $20.
Good luck.
Leo

Yamapag, I see you have asked this question several times in several threads.
I assume you are having charging issues. If so there is a charging system troubleshooting guide. You can find it in the XS650 TECH section. This can be found by clicking on the XS650 tech button near the top of every page. Look under the Electrical heading.
Once you have gone through the troubleshooting guide if you still have issues then try starting your own thread.
We can't help much if we don't know the year and model of your bike.
Leo

I'm sorry I'm new to the fourm so I'm learning it my bike is a Johnny pag with a 82-83 xs650 motor. I found what ur talking about in the tech area so I'm going to try some of that thanks

So When I received my new regulator rectifier, I went over my wiring schematic and compared it to ones given on this site, and other sources, and change two wires. red and brown, just so they were more direct to their source. If it was wiring it was brown that was wrong. I then proceeded to put the new regulator rectifier on, and boom. It worked like a champ!! But just to double check I put the old rectifier on to see if it was just my wiring but with the old rectifier it did not work. So im not sure if it was completely the rectifier or partly my wiring, but all in all she works, and finally charges on her own. :) Thanks for the help.

Back