charging system dead

Okay, consider these possibilities.
- Screw may be too short, should be 40mm.
- There's more threads in the case than what are needed. The outer threads may have stripped. A slightly longer screw may work, 45mm, but don't tighten as much as the others.
- The copper washer may be interfering with the bolt insertion.

I definitely have the right screw. even bought a new set of lower case ones from Mikes.
I'll try removing the washer, or finding a 45mm from a fastener store.
But before all that, (correct me if I'm wrong) I'm going to have to remove the cover and figure out why the kickstarter is not doing its job right?
So drain all the 2.5L of oil into a clean bucket and start from scratch?

Nah just lean it over on the left side use carpet or cardboard as a pad and have something to rest the handlebar end on,
(5 gallon bucket upside down). Only lose a couple of teaspoons of oil.

Yes, the cover will have to come off again to figure out what's wrong with the kick starter. Probably best to pull the kicker assembly right out and start the install process over from scratch. I would inspect the return spring too. Maybe it's broken. Besides the outer end hooking on the case, the inner end has to anchor onto the shaft somehow so the spring can be wound up and tensioned. I'm not sure how it anchors onto the shaft, I never inspected one that closely, but it should be obvious if you look at it. Make sure the small end of the drag clip is correctly located in the case notch too. I think that's what makes the whole assembly work, makes the kicker gear on the shaft slide into engagement when you operate the kick lever .....

b7BR18d.jpg

Man, I'm glad that 5twins posted that pic. It appears that the lower, hollow dowel threaded portion on the later 72-on cases is shallower, doesn't have the depth like on the early cases, due to the starter back there.

So, a longer screw may not work there.

You'd need to run a screw in there, measure the screw's exposed portion, see if it matches the side cover's hole depth...

maybe grind down the dowel with a dremmel? :poke:

seriously, the dowel may be the problem.

i like how 5T marked the kick starter pin with a sharpie. i did the same thing so i knew where the nub was sitting on the other side. great minds think alike

Stick at it - be methodical. Don't start grinding anything - it was all put together once and it will go back together again.

Chin-up - still a few weeks of riding left BlankSlate!

Pete

Actually, that mark was for the split in the kick lever mount. I do the same on the rear brake arm so I can get it back on indexed correctly the first time around .....

full

my dowels (two on the left)
vs
oem dowels (on the rightt). i purchased them as backups since i lose these things all the time oem#99530-12016

Attachments

• IMG_3591.JPG
    IMG_3591.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 153
Dowels look OK. If the cover is off, try fitting any screw into that troublesome hole to see if it will catch. Someone may have stripped it out big time, like in pulling all the threads right out of the hole.

Dowels look OK. If the cover is off, try fitting any screw into that troublesome hole to see if it will catch. Someone may have stripped it out big time, like in pulling all the threads right out of the hole.

i am able to screw in the troublesome hole, but yes the hole is stripped at the first 15% of the thread. after that it catches all the way.

id say a longer bolt is one solution.

Last edited:
kickstarter works! i was able to start the bike with it.

now to fix that damn leak under the kick. i was at a fastener place and the size options are insane. what bolt size do i look for

m6
length45 mm
pitch 1.0
thread?

side note: im surprised at how dark the oil that dripped out of the right cover is. the old oil was drained two months ago for many days (without warming engine) and i added the fresh oil a few days ago.

Attachments

• IMG_3601.JPG
    IMG_3601.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 192
kickstarter works! i was able to start the bike with it.

now to fix that damn leak under the kick. i was at a fastener place and the size options are insane. what bolt size do i look for

m6
length45 mm
pitch 1.0
thread?

Congrats on the kickstarter fix! :cheers:

Believe it or not, I have never measured one of these darned things - but I believe it is a 1.0mm pitch. However, I would take in one of the OEM bolts and have the folks there measure it for you. That way, you'll get what you need.

From what I can see - all of the 6mm bolts and SHCS (socket head cap screws - aka Allen bolts) on the bike are the same pitch - so I would buy a few spares.

As for the dark oil - yeah, every engine has a tiny bit of residue left after even a complete oil & filter change. It is a small amount and when diluted with 2 litres or more of clean oil, it never seems to cause any harm. The other thing is that engine oil normally darkens pretty quickly after even a short time in service so unless it is REALLY black and thick like tar - nothing to worry about.

Cheers,

Pete

....PS - you'll have to change the name of your thread to "It works!!" from "charging system dead" :D

Last edited:
... what bolt size do i look for

m6
length45 mm
pitch 1.0
thread?

Yes, try that. M6x1.0 45mm length. Check if it fully seats. You may need to grind a bit off the end. Don't torque it down as tight as the others. With only a couple threads left, just snug it.

Your video doesn't show the hollow dowel in there. Be sure it's fitted, it provides shear support for the kickstart outer bushing...

i'm done. 45 mm did not work with or without copper washer. it just spins with catching. im going to rtv the lower half of the cover and be done with it. almost 2 months i haven't ridden!

Back