CHARGING SYSTEM (PMA) not CHARGING BATTERY

ANLAF

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Fellers

I posted a thread a few weeks ago about a PMA and reg-rec problem (charging at 15.4v turned out to be blown reg-rec caused by the solder failing on one of the phases of the PMA). I thought I had it fixed the problem. Put on new battery, but ran with the capacitor. The wired in voltmeter reads 14.4v at 3000 rpm - that's good.

Yesterday I gor round to switching over to the battery. Kicked first time with the healthy new battery, but the voltmeter says there is no charge going to the battery - it just reads the battery voltage, which is falling as power is drained from the battery, not replenishing from the charging system.

I have attached my wiring diagram. the first is how I have it with the capacitor, and the second how I had it with the battery, and the third shows how I adjusted it yesterday.

Can anyone see anything obvious?

I wondered if it was a poor ground. I checked, and all is good (so I think!) and it is the same ground used for the capacitor.

Thanks

ANLAF

Attachments

• XS650 WIRING - ANLAF 17 CAPACITOR.png
    XS650 WIRING - ANLAF 17 CAPACITOR.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 338
  • XS650 WIRING - ANLAF 17 BATTERY.png
    XS650 WIRING - ANLAF 17 BATTERY.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 666
  • XS650 WIRING - ANLAF 17 BATTERY v2.png
    XS650 WIRING - ANLAF 17 BATTERY v2.png
    16.7 KB · Views: 306
TwoMany

I will adjust the diagram to show the grounding - but BINGO! problem solved. I followed the wires, checking connections to make sure the battery and reg-rec grounded. It was one of those that didn't allow charge to the battery. Simple - if only I knew which one of hose connections.

I'm going for a ride...

ANLAF

It sounds like I have the same problem. Im hoping its a wire problem. Ill be going through the wires tomorrow. You didn't figure out what wire was a bad connection?

NorthPark

Wires are notorious traps, I got the multimeter out, tried and tested from the reg-rec to the battery and return to the ignition, then cleaned up the ground connections. It's in there somewhere. Good luck, and get back on there soon. I have a SPARX capacitor as back-up. I simply switch over now and then to check everything is working - that's when I may have displaced a connection.

ANLAF

Back