Cheap a$$ rototiller

angus67

Welder's penetrate deeper!!
Reaction score
So ive had a ryobi rototiller foe a few years. I turn my garden area early march. Didnt have a garden past two years, so the tiller sat with fuel in it that long. In a unheated shed.
Whipped it out last weakend, started on choke, but after warm up, it just dies.
Ive learned from this forum that carbs cant just sit with fuel in them.
So yesterday i yanked the carb (walbro), took it all apart, blew out the fuel pump, and main jet, and idle circiut.
Of corse I shredded the carb to engine gasket. So cleaned that off. Used yamabond to seal it up. Let it skim over. Put it back together, fired right up, and whend full throttle when asked. Ran great! Turned over my soil, planning carrots, lettuce, broccoli, maybe peas.
This is more of a thankyou post becuase if it wasnt for the carb guide and all the guidance from everyone, i would have baught another tiller.
Anybody else use the knowledge learned here to fix something simular?

Hi angus,
I bought a 27" 2-stage Sears snowblower in the Spring of 1980. It finally died this winter. I weighed the perhaps $300 in new parts to get it going against the $900 of a replacement and bit the bullet.
What I must thank YOU for is the reminder that if I don't put stabilizer in my new snowblower's gas tank before it gets put away for the summer I too will most likely have to do a carb rebuild next fall.

Yeah - me too!

....and about a stuck open throttle and a seized clutch lever....on an early 80s Special...:rock:

Gads, I've lost count of all the tips, tricks, links, product references, ...etc., that have been absorbed into my barnyard antics. Many thanx to all you contributors...

Fred: Remember for storage purposes to invest in some no ethanol gas, like Shell V-Power, put in stabilizer and then you are ahead of the game.

Back