Cheap piston sets on ebay

Ogh no worries on the Hijack I'm happy to answer questions:

I cut four, ~ 4" pieces of angle iron, and rounded the bits that would be near the motor to as much of a circular shape as possible to keep it from marring the case and to fit well.

I used the upper and lower engine mount bolts that corresponded to the mounts, drilled the angle iron and attached it to the motor.

One the angle iron was on the motor ( I had the motor out and on wood blocks during all this) I took the top of the engine stand off and had a buddy hold it near the motor while I lined up the arms to contact the angle iron, I marked a spot on the iron with a sharpie, drilled out my holes then ran some hefty bolts through (nut to the motor side on top, nut out on the bottom) and nutted them up.

Once I had the top of the stand on and snugged up I picked it up and slid it on the stand
Mostly it was just getting the arms into the right position

Attachments

• AngleIronMount.jpg
    AngleIronMount.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 402
Oh and my pistons are a four over bore, 76mm. They have just about every size and model, its just when they pop up on ebay. From what I can gather they use an older manufacturing facility from one of the jap bike companies. They do production runs, produce a bunch for one bike in all the sizes, then the next bike and so on. It's cyclical so they will come around again at some point.

PS. I'm going to be pulling my motor off the stand this weekend hopefully, so I can lay the pieces of iron on some paper and trace them/label their positioning, then you can use that as a template if you like. I'll copy that and keep it around for anyone/everyone in the future.

You could always contact them through ebay, I wanted some 2nd over rings a while ago, they weren't selling them on ebay at the time so I contacted him, he had them in stock gave me a quote to see if I was happy with the price then sent a Paypal invoice.

Anyone using the pistons have an update? I'm thinking about trying them. Saving 100$ seems worth it so far.

How about the rings? Are you guys using the rings from the same place?

I just ordered two sets and from what I am seeing they are the same as the ones I bought from FL Dealer . His and these are both from Japan. There is another guy on EBAY selling them too but coated for heat. As soon as I get them I will let you know. I have used the Honda 836 kit from them but bought them threw another place. They worked fine.

It would be interesting to see how these compare in weight with an OEM piston of the same oversize; especially if the crown area appears to be thicker.

My machinist has been sitting on my barrels for a while now, I need to move, I couldn't afford the more expensive pistons, so I'm crossing my fingers.

vorhess, It won't cost more to go 2nd over than 2st over, whatever that is. I assume you mean 1st over.
Get the 2nd over, bore to match.
On the 74 to 76 engines, they are 447 engines. Here in th states all the engine from 74 up use the same pistons. In Eorope and some other places they had a 553 engine. This used a different length rod with a different piston.
So if your engine is a 74 or up those pistons should work.
Leo

I ordered the pistons late Monday night and they arrived on my doorstep this morning, Thursday. Not bad at all, huh? I can hardly even get parts from Mike's that quickly. They look alright, and feel alright. My machinist has my old pistons and jugs so I can't do a direct comparison but I'm going to have him take a look and will report back.

So far so good.

You can slide a wristpin halfway onto an old piston, and halfway onto the new, so they're aligned side-by-side. Then compare ring groove position/depth/width, same for dome height and skirt length.

I bought six sets and they look the same as I got from FL. I am getting them to the machine shop next week and then we will see. But there is another guy using them and coating them for sale on EBAY for $149.00 a set. Like I said before bought CB750 836 pistons from them and bike still going over a year now. If they work well I am buying more. I buy tail lights from them and they were so so.

Hey, guys, I live in Ukraine, we have only 4, xs650 in the whole country, I have 2. one without any numbers. or on the frame or the engine numbers. I think it 79-83. on the discs. 19 and 16. tell me these pistons fit??

I've got about 500 miles on these pistons and rings, including about 300 miles at 70mph. Everything is okay so far. Consumed some oil but I'm chalking that up to the rings not being seated.

Back