Check out this super screwed up motor

JimmyStacy

XS650 Member
Reaction score
What do you think blow rod?I just recently bought two xs this one and another with a good motor for 3 bills with titles.I'm thinking about picking up some cases and a cylinder on the cheap and going from there.
012.jpg

Im hoping the crank is good.I have never split the cases on an XS yet.What are the specialty tools I will need?

Off the top of my head, the only one that comes to mind is a holder for the clutch basket so you can get the center nut off. Many just rig something or stuff rags in the gears but you run the risk of damaging parts. Since you have 2 bikes and extra parts, you can make a holder from one of the steel clutch plates.

ClutchHolder.jpg

Here is a design that does not require any welding and you can reuse the plate after.

clutchtool.jpg

There is a nut in between the "L" bracket and the plate on each bolt to set the plate inside of the clutch basket.

The other tool you will need is a puller for the alternator rotor.

fuggetaboudit. make the one run, that thing is just parts. there won't be enough useable to be worth messing with.
She-it, I got a row of useable motors looking for titled frames.

Been a while since we heard from you Jimmy...............

Yeah has been awhile.Sold off both my other XS 650's.I will just pick up a good motor for this frame but over time on the cheap I will rebuild the shit one too.

Good cranks and transmissions are cheap - cheap enough not to bother even opening that engine. It's done. Take the side covers off it, maybe the clutch basket is salvageable, scrap the rest.

Dunno about scrapping everything, the head etc should still be god. yank 'em for spares if nothing else. The rest of the motor, off to the scrapper.

Don't forget there's a transmission in there. These bikes aren't getting cheaper. I only scrap the broken parts-- everything else gets packed away for parts.

Yeah I stock, stash away a lot of stuff too, but odds are the motor was making metal for a while before it tossed the rod. Who wants turning parts that have been bathed in metal shavings?

I decided Im going to clean up the motor put it in a stand.Put the stand on some kind of a table and display it in my house like art.

and down the road you can always part it out here to fund your build. i am sure there are several members (self included) looking at it like vultures circling fresh road kill.

Back