Chirp/Squeal on Throttle Blip

PHeller

Erie, PA
Reaction score
I'm getting a chirp/squeal off idle, from 1500 rpms to 3000 rpms.

Recently removed the clutch side cover, but it doesn't appear to be coming from that area. Sounds like its more in the cam chain tensioner area.

Checked the cam chain tension, no difference.

Sprayed starting Ether in and around the carbs, no difference.

If its a carb seal of some sort, will ether make any difference, or is more of an internal seal leak?

I'm getting a chirp/squeal off idle, from 1500 rpms to 3000 rpms.

Recently removed the clutch side cover, but it doesn't appear to be coming from that area. Sounds like its more in the cam chain tensioner area.

Checked the cam chain tension, no difference.

Sprayed starting Ether in and around the carbs, no difference.

If its a carb seal of some sort, will ether make any difference, or is more of an internal seal leak?

"Bird chirping" is almost certainly an air leak with the carbs. I've had several different chirps. Throttle shaft seals may chirp. I also had an access bolt (on side of carb to allow a manometer connection) start to chirp. I had to remove the bolt and installed a soft washer with some 3bond 1104 to stop the chirping.

The rubber intake manifolds can chirp as well, right where they clamp to the heads. I found the manifolds from Mikesxs were a very poor fit (too large diameter), and now use my OEM stock manifolds as they are an interference fit and do not suck air.

Try placing a thin rubber glove or a piece of plastic over these different areas to see if you can locate the chirp.

It can, but not necessarily, unless it's large. You can use a lit stick of incense in the evening, and you can get a much more targeted reaction and pinpoint air leaks, either sucking or blowing, around intake flanges, throttle shaft seals, exhaust flanges, and you don't have to spray flammable material all over the motor, or shoot a big slug of water in it.

Tried in the incense trick and it showed nothing, the smoke flowed right around the carb and intake boots.

What's weird is that it doesn't chirp at idle. Only when throttle is applied.

Posted via Mobile

A member posted that the choke cover plate can start chirping on BS38s, remove, a bit a of Yamabond or similar on the gasket, reassemble.

Back