Chirp?

Boney

Boney
Reaction score
Read some threads about chirping noises due to carb air leaks and so on. Is it ok to still run the bike in the meantime? Also, my bike has nearly died on me while on the highway twice but I can get it to (catch its breath) any ideas if there may be a link to the chirping. Thks!

Riding with the chirping is okay, it shouldn't hurt anything. But, at least tighten the 3 Philips screws holding the choke (enrichener) assembly that is accessible. You might get lucky, and that will be the one that needs tightening. If that doesn't help, then you will have to remove the carbs so that you can access the other choke assembly. I 99.99 percent guarantee that is the source of the chirping.
Your highway hesitation needs more description to diagnose (like what year carbs, for starters, but I assume from the chirping that they are BS38s). If it happens during acceleration, you probably need re-jetting due to the pods and exhaust mods that you did but never re-jetted for. If it happens at steady throttle, maybe your tank is poorly vented.

Boney,

My right carb began chirping last summer towards the end of the riding season. One of the bolts that holds the carb boot in place became loose as the heli coil in the hole broke. Rode with it for a couple of weeks with some intermittent symptoms that you have described. The right cylinder never really ran right and the bike eventually pretty much stop running.

Back