choke doesn't seem to work

15cherries

XS650 Member
Reaction score
1979 xs650 special all stock. when cold bike is hard to start. I push the choke lever down and no difference, even when I get it started with the choke on it does not fast idle? I remember seeing a picture in a post of a small port in the carb that is for the choke circuit. I will remove the carbs to clean them and want to make sure to clean this port, anyone have this picture and any other advice, thanks Sam.

Yes, there is a small jet pressed into the float bowl that feeds fuel up into the choke when you turn it on. It is along the side and at the bottom of the bowl so can get clogged easily if there's any gunk in the bowl. Here's how to check it .....

IzS1tsu.jpg

Since the jet is pressed in, you won't be able to remove it for cleaning. You'll need to blow it clear with carb cleaner and compressed air.

Yes, there is a small jet pressed into the float bowl that feeds fuel up into the choke when you turn it on. It is along the side and at the bottom of the bowl so can get clogged easily if there's any gunk in the bowl. Here's how to check it .....

IzS1tsu.jpg

Since the jet is pressed in, you won't be able to remove it for cleaning. You'll need to blow it clear with carb cleaner and compressed air.
5T, what is the mechanism that allows for the extra fuel to be introduced in the system once the choke circuit is enacted?
In other words, what happens when the moving parts, move?

When you activate the choke, that lifts (or pulls) the choke plunger off it's seat. That opens the passageway to the choke feed jet in the bowl and gas gets sucked up into the choke housing. It's mixed with some air along the way and fed into the carb's main bore, providing a rich shot of fuel/air mix for cold starts. Here's a diagram illustrating the process .....

GODrWYG.jpg

Back