Choke Spring & Ball Bearing ??

mhanks71

80 Chopped XS
Reaction score
Can someone plz tell me how to install these ? I have a 1980 with BS34's. None of my books say how to do this . The bearing is very small as is the spring . HELP

the spring drops in, a little grease on the ball to stick it to the end of a small allen wrench will help, use it to push the ball down a bit till the beveled end of the choke shaft captures it, withdraw the allen wrench as you push the choke shaft in the rest of the way.
PS if the spring and ball get lost the ball and spring from a grease zerk fitting replace it perfectly, drill the end of the zerk slightly and the ball and spring come right out.

Oh that! Top, front, the choke rod slides in from the side, there is a drilled hole from the top of the carb that goes straight through where the choke rod hole is. The ball and spring go down that hole before the choke rod is replaced. One set is needed but I have seen them on both carbs.
index.php

index.php

Images; thanks to XSJohn and the 650 rider forum, Both are unfortunately no longer with us.

the spring drops in, a little grease on the ball to stick it to the end of a small allen wrench will help, use it to push the ball down a bit till the beveled end of the choke shaft captures it, withdraw the allen wrench as you push the choke shaft in the rest of the way.
PS if the spring and ball get lost the ball and spring from a grease zerk fitting replace it perfectly, drill the end of the zerk slightly and the ball and spring come right out.

Off to try this right now! I've bought more then a few 1/4" springs to replace these, and none of them work!

Faaahk. leaving right now.

if it works, Thanks!

jaz

Yes, one set will work but the parts diagram does call for 2 .....

uDVF82S.jpg

Last edited:
@ 5twins. It calls for two but the indents are only on the left side of the rod?
I've found them both ways. Onesy and twosy.

@Jaz. It works and if you still have the straight sided grease fittings on the pivot bolt it is a great thing to use them for.

Just wanted to say a "thanks" for posting this!
"if the spring and ball get lost the ball and spring from a grease zerk fitting replace it perfectly, drill the end of the zerk slightly and the ball and spring come right out."

Oh that! Top, front, the choke rod slides in from the side, there is a drilled hole from the top of the carb that goes straight through where the choke rod hole is. The ball and spring go down that hole before the choke rod is replaced. One set is needed but I have seen them on both carbs.
index.php

index.php

Images; thanks to XSJohn and the 650 rider forum, Both are unfortunately no longer with us.
Thank you!
With us or not...
I am thankful for this sharing
Couldn't have done it without all of you
Grace and Peace

A friend just helped me with this issue and here is what we found:

1) the ball bearing is a 1/8" dia. (0.125") and the Zerk ball we sourced is a tiny bit smaller and it didn't work very well. The 1/8" ball bearing is correct (if you check the Yamaha listing - that IS the size they used - not a metric size).

However the 1/8" balls are readily available from hardware supply places as a stock item. I bought a packet of 100 of them for $4.76 Cdn. I now have 96 left (a couple got lost during the insertion operation).

2) the Zerk spring is a bit too long - we cut it down (in length) and it now works fine.

Pete

Pete is right on this, when I lost a ball doing a set of 34's I found I had a bag of 1/8" ball bearings in the carb parts drawers.

I'll do it pete, 48 cent stamp LOL
or not much more at the hardware or a bicycle shop.

OK - thanks Gary.

BTW - I went to bicycle shop and they sold me balls that were actually 7/64" (a tiny bit less than 0.125 = 1/8") and they would not work.

The machine supply shop had the correct size balls.

I'm sure there's a joke there - but haven't had my coffee yet.

Back