Choke won't hold

sivarTi

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
1980 with stock carbs. I can pull the choke button out and hold it to start the bike and control the idle but once I let go of the choke it pulls all the way in (off) by itself and the bike dies. What holds the stock choke slide in a set position until I want it off?

There are small balls and springs that snap into detents on the rod, easily lost if the rod is removed .....

ChokeBall-Spring.jpg

Thanks, 1 down. I'll look tomorrow. I'm looking at what it takes to remove the tach now.

Last edited:
On the choke rod there are many detents. On the carbs where the choke rod goes through is a second hole for a small spring and a ball bearng fits into these detents. Sounds like your missing these tiny springs and ball bearings. Have you done a carb clean recently or have they always been this way? When the rod is taken out these springs and ball bearing spring out and if your not looking they go to places that turn them invisable. I speak from experience.

I've only had the bike a few weeks so I'm trying to overcome 30 years of PO's and the dumb stuff they do. I'm also trying to figure out how to get the pilot jet out now that I see someone stripped the flat head slot out of it. I have the carbs off right now and will look tomorrow. Ideas on removing the pilot jet would be great.

I have one of those screwdrivers that have 2 shafts. 2 each of phillips and straights. One large and one small of each. I use the small common for the pilot jet. If your jet(s) are stripped out, sounds like time for a small ezee out and new jets. Maybe have to drill out the jet (just a bit) to get the ezee out started.Be carefull not to drill too deeply. There might be other ways.

I have the same problem with the choke not holding on an '81. I recently did some cleaning and probably lost a spring or something. Is there somewhere that I can buy just those small springs and ball bearings or do i have to buy a plunger or something else in order to get them?

Wow you are going to like this; cheap, easy, and it works slick! Go get a grease zerk fitting. drill the end where you can see the little ball till the ball falls free find the ball and spring use them in your carbs, done. One is enough, most bikes had two, one in each carb. This "could" be done without even removing the carbs but it's better to have them on the bench, the phillips head screws would be hard to get off and tighten back on.

Mine slowly vibrates back in if it's not on a detent. I consider it a feature - half automatic choke.

XS John suggested adding some detents. I just love the handlebar choke on the Heritage Special it allows setting an appropriate idle and slowly removing choke as the bike warms up.

Sweet thanks, I still haven't tackled that project. I did get the idle jet out and replaced just the other day. I've been doing so much cutting and rewelding of tabs and I made a battery/electrical box as well. Drained the forks the other night, got a whopping 5oz combined out of them. Tires mounted etc, coming together.

Back