Chopped front fender??? Picture request

MadeThatMyself

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am trying to decide whether I should run a front fender on the xs650 hardtail bobber I'm building. Has anyone ever chopped up the stock front fender to minimize the size? Is there a small aftermarket fender people like? I am looking for some inspiration before I take any action. Rain with no front fender is not fun...

I am trying to decide whether I should run a front fender on the xs650 hardtail bobber I'm building. Has anyone ever chopped up the stock front fender to minimize the size? Is there a small aftermarket fender people like? I am looking for some inspiration before I take any action. Rain with no front fender is not fun...

Hi MadeThat,
while only tiding when it's dry can work, sometimes it'll start to rain when you're out, eh?
Note that the stock fender is also a fork brace and the XS650 forks NEED a fork brace.
Cropping the stock fender short retains it's brace function.
Fit a TKAT or other fork brace if using an aftermarket shortie fender.

Last edited:
We're talking about a hard tail here. I understand that the unwritten rules of building a hardtail include "fender bobbing". It seems to be the pattern of bobber building to cut down the front fender a few times until the builder is not happy with the fender at all, then they ditch the fender altogether. In all of these cases I envision a full fender (painted) with fender stays that would look and function much better than a bobbed fender, and I do like bobbers.

In other words, go ahead and break the "bobber rules".

Scott

Last edited:
Here is my stock fender cut down close to the reinforcing brackets underneath. Even with it on, I still get puddles up on me lol

20190323_121800.jpg 20190406_120112.jpg

01.jpg

I used a "reverse" curve at the back in order to retain the speedo cable guide.

HandBuiltTaylor.jpg

This is an XS650 front end that I put on an XT500. This time I trimmed the fender in the "usual" way.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Willis- That is pretty much exactly what I was envisioning. Cutting just enough off the back to keep the cable guide and trimming up the front a bit.

Dune- Looks awesome. If I had a better welder, I might attempt that...

Also does anyone know the bolt size for the front fender? Mine was not mounted when I bought it and I don't think I have them...

A little tip I used in making a good cut radius. I took my clutch cable off and bent it around from one side of the fender edge around to the other side of the fender and marked the curve with a sharpie for my cut line.

If you have a decent fender I may be interested in trading mine with you. I’m looking for a narrow fender to cut and use on the rear of my bike.

A little tip I used in making a good cut radius. I took my clutch cable off and bent it around from one side of the fender edge around to the other side of the fender and marked the curve with a sharpie for my cut line.

If you have a decent fender I may be interested in trading mine with you. I’m looking for a narrow fender to cut and use on the rear of my bike.

Willis- Thanks for the offer but I think I want to chop mine down myself just for the fun of it. I'll let you know if I change my mind.

Back