Chrome $$$

motormike

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Xs chrome.jpg Lic plates.jpg FYI: Today I pick'd up bits that I had chromed… the h/bars for a buddy... off a Honda.. $100.oo.... the other bits are for my current project.. 6 bolts, 2 fender braces.. 4 headlight rims and 2 rear turn signal mounts.. $400.oo.... When we restore a Xs2.. except for the mufflers.. it's nearly $2000.oo for all the various bits. My current project I purposely had many parts powder coated just to avoid the sticker shock of chrome.
Couple days ago a friend clean'd out his garage and gave me a bunch of m/c lic plates… 100 or so zip ties later.. I hung on my shelf at the shop.

Chrome shop labor is outrageous.:yikes: Our local chrome shop raised the hourly rate to $75 as of Jan 1st. I did find the receipt for the scrambler build parts and it came to $130 plus $11.90 tax. The catch is I do all of the prep work myself and all they do is clean and plate. Some of the parts like the exh flanges and start and shift levers etc have to be electro stripped first. That is included. On my no theme build the powder coat was twice the price of the chrome cost.

Back