I'm going to build one as an "adapter" that will allow me to mount it on my full-size engine stand. When I get it done, I'll take photos and measurements and post them here.

I did one when I was futzing with a 750 Triple a few years back, and it's WELL worth the time to fab one up so you don't have to screw around trying to balance the motor on a bench while torquing something.

BTW, I still have the one for the 750 if anyone wants it. I won't be needing it again.

has anyone built this thing? And put a engine on it. i took the measurments and and my engine leans backwards at an 45 deg angle :banghead: Ill take a pic and put it here I think the engine mounting post are backwards they should be swiched :doh:

I have built two now and both cleared the starter just fine. Check out 5twins pic on the bottom of page two as well as his comments.

full
I have built two now and both cleared the starter just fine. Check out 5twins pic on the bottom of page two as well as his comments.
Like a dummie I drew it backwards:banghead::doh: even backwards it clears the starter LOL

I built my stand very similar to many of the plans on this forum, but out of wood.

Now that I've worked on my motor a little in this wooden stand, had in on a cart for a few months, and moved it around a bit, I'd do this if were to make it metal:

Make it into a box that surrounds the engine. It's only 8 more welds, or 10 if you did an upper cross brace to attach the top mount. Have bolts for the top and bottom section.

This would allow you to flip the engine over on whatever side you were working on, more grab points for handling it, and still cost less than an automotive engine stand.

If you've already got a automotive stand its so much easier just to make the two little mounts and spin spin spin.

Yes Carbon, you mixed up the uprights, lol. The long ones go on the rear, short ones in the center.

Yes, it appears Joe made the front a little short. On mine, the front extends about the same as the rear ......

grnlMJu.png

Also, as added insurance against tip over and to keep the thing from twisting while you loosen/tighten head bolts, I lightly bolt the stand down to the cart top with 2 small bolts and wing nuts.

vxosJNW.png

..... and a coat of 99 cent spray paint goes a long way in dressing your project up, lol.

Last edited:
I guess I did make it a little short. I'll have to weld small extension to the front of the stand to make it a bit more stable. I'm going to clean it up and paint it soon too.

I admire the fab skills you guys have. I cant seem to get good at welding. I made this stand out of "stuff" laying around my garage.

100_0278.jpg

I built one out off wood for the lower frame. about 2 1/2 feet long, Steel from the wood up to the engine. Very stable. I put steel to extend one end so i could mount an old set of lawn mower wheels just off the floor so if I wanted to move it around I pick up one end the wheels hit the floor and a push it around like a wheel barrow.
I'll try to get it dug out and get a pic.
Leo

Hey Guys,,,

I am new here and have been lurking for several months now... I finally tracked down my own project bike ( '79 frame and forks with a '81 engine ) and first thing I did was build a engine stand using the directions posted in this thread and added my own little twist to it ( it has wheels )... Sorry for how it looks as I built it out of materials I had laying around the shop...

full

full

full

Thanks again for all the great information on building a engine stand :)

Dave aka WK2

tonyc,,,

The welder in the background is a Miller 250 Syncrowave TIG ,,, the other welder in the background ( orange ) is a old airco arc welder and not pictured is a Miller MillerMatic 250 MIG ...

When I built the engine stand I used the MillerMatic 250 MIG...

Here's a pic of the MillerMatic 250 MIG with the steel table I built to the side holding the arc welder hot box for the rods ( MIG welder fits nicely under the rod box table )
Trailer-14.jpg

:)

Dave aka WK2

Last edited:
built an adapter to mount on my roll around engine stand. I can rotate to work on it. Just let it pivot and hang down against the upright.

Attachments

• june 30 2012 008.jpg
    june 30 2012 008.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 1,353
  • june 30 2012 007.jpg
    june 30 2012 007.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 664
I'm going to build one as an "adapter" that will allow me to mount it on my full-size engine stand. When I get it done, I'll take photos and measurements and post them here.

I did one when I was futzing with a 750 Triple a few years back, and it's WELL worth the time to fab one up so you don't have to screw around trying to balance the motor on a bench while torquing something.

Did ANYONE ever come up with a fixture for mounting to a regular engine stand, seems engine would be easier to reassemble the bottom end upside down with the shift forks and all. Fixin to start tearing down my extra motor for a rephrased rebuild.

:thumbsup:

Back