Cleaning and reusing spark plugs

I've been meaning to get a plug cleaner for years, and didn't know they were still available new, as I recall using the older benchtop Champion models decades ago. Any time I've seen one of the older ones, some silly price has been attached to it, so I just let it slide.
However, seeing the HF one got me looking and those cheerful Chinese are making them now for 25 quid delivered.
I have the HF model. It has worked like a champ for years now. Just be sure to blow the plug out with a little clean air before reinstalling it to dislodge any errant glass beads that might make their way into a ring grove. When I was in high school auto shop we had one of the old Champion plug stations, we used to hook the test lead up to the metal workbench it stood next to and wait for some poor sucker to come lean on the bench:devil:. That all ended when some dummy (not me) decided he would discharge the coil into the bench when our grizzled old teacher leaned on the bench. We never saw that neat old Champion plug station again, I'm guessing it found its way into the school dumpster.:(

Attachments

• 75_4c7aa70fa894590451ab2bc9aacf075c.jpg
    75_4c7aa70fa894590451ab2bc9aacf075c.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 133
Running on modern gas just a hint of color is normal. If it's not a plug chop a bit more "tan" would normal too.
From the 750 "hotrod" madness.
plug chop 6-11-18 190s.jpg
plug chop.jpg

Both a couple days apart in 2018 think this was just before I did an iron butt ride on it. Not plug chops, just removed when parked.
Lighting not the best on the lower pic.
She uses just a bit of oil (mebby a quart per thousand miles) and the LH cylinder has some scoring. So I tend to check compression now and then, so far it's stayed above 170 PSI

Last edited:
After torching I may use a thin scraper (windshield wiper stainless steel strip ground to fit and scrape).
I like a fine stainless wire brush to finish up, I'm not a heavy scrubber, the porcelain is porous, rough, you don't want to leave a fine layer of conductive stainless steel worn off the brush wires on the insulator, a good reason not to use a soft brass brush.

Thanks for that post Gary, I too was interested in your technique. Good tip on not using a brass brush. My insulators look a little burnished after cleaning them and finishing with a brass brush.

This is what I was seeing on my plugs after a good run. Lots of messing with jets etc to get to this. Extended idle or low speed operation will darken them up.
View attachment 185601

Thank you for the answers and pictures
Mine is about that but a bit more brown on the outer part after a " Harder run "
Not gonna change anything .. Mostly because it does not vibrate.
I Do believe I could get a little better response on top more Oumphhhh
I had that on the first bike with points ..and worse compression
Now with Boyer Bransden I Have moved that around .. the advance.
Does anyone recognize that --- That a Points bike is better responding than aftermarket Electronics.
The mechanical advance was no good with weak springs .But I have a feeling that it was more Kick ass Responsive..
Had to take it off because it did not retard. I did not know then that it perhaps was a service issue.
Cant say for certain. But it is a feeling I have.

Pamco e advance, Hugh pma and a tiny 4 cell battery and my revs super quick and clean.

Super clean throttle pull (1 cable from carb to tube, not 2 into 1, aftermarket throttle tube)
ex500 carbs, pretty well jetted
Homemade 2 into 1 with a cone engineering quiet core (iirc)

It revs super quick. I'll get some videos when my brother and I get done with our je 700 kits.

He has vm34s, still tuning some and my bike definitely has way more response through the throttle range.

Your midrange (needle) settings will have a very big effect on plug color. If you've re-jetted for mods (larger mains and pilots), those new bigger jets will bleed over into the midrange and make it richer too. That's why you usually need to lean your midrange settings a little when you increase those other jets. Doing this will often nicely lighten the color on plugs that are too dark.

Your midrange (needle) settings will have a very big effect on plug color. If you've re-jetted for mods (larger mains and pilots), those new bigger jets will bleed over into the midrange and make it richer too. That's why you usually need to lean your midrange settings a little when you increase those other jets. Doing this will often nicely lighten the color on plugs that are too dark.

Thinking out loud
If one moves the needle leaning out on the Mid range which can be attractive in my case .
Will that affect high end ??? .Which is Dangerous if that happens.
I know of one Motorcyclist getting it wrong. Exactly because of this cross interfering.
It might not be so easily detected. It perhaps need a shut off from that high rev situation steering to the side.. with gloves and taking them plugs out at the roadside or so Doable of course but a little tricky

Leaning the needle shouldn't effect the main jet flow on the top end. At full throttle, the needle will be practically fully withdrawn out of the needle jet by then. And needle height isn't changed that much. Mikuni needle clip slots are only 1mm apart. It's not much but it can very much effect how the bike runs and the plug color. You can even finer tune things by using a shim washer. The washer is about 1/2mm thick so you can achieve settings in between the clip slots, say like a 2.5 or 3.5 setting.

iEVv8Mf.jpg

Two spray cleaners that I always take very seriously are carburetor cleaner and brake cleaner. Whenever I use them I go outdoors and gear up with a respirator , gloves and eye protection.
What he's putting forth is a different order of magnitude. Possibility of inadvertently producing phosgene gas where a few parts per million causes symptoms with delayed onset that makes covid look like a pizza party

What he's putting forth is a different order of magnitude. Possibility of inadvertently producing phosgene gas where a few parts per million causes symptoms with delayed onset that makes covid look like a pizza party

Yes correct, I read the article he posted. I was just drifting off in another direction as I tend to do. :D

The eye protection remark reminded me how they always squirt back at you directly into your eye. Wearing glasses has saved my eyes so many times. Once from bouncing shotgun pellets. I'd recommend if someone didn't need glasses they still wear some with blank lenses.
I was just drifting off in another direction as I tend to do. :D
I don't do that

The world's weakest motorcycle demands you squeeze out the last theoretical questionable nanonanowatt of power. Hell, it might add up to 10%.

Back